Why is there no psychology subforum?

• Thread starter AndromedaRXJ
  • Start date
In summary, I think the lack of a psychology or sociology subforum is due to the fact that we don't have subject matter experts in those forums.
AndromedaRXJ
Under other sciences, I noticed there's no psychology or sociology subforum. Aren't these branches of science?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the short answer is that we need to have subject matter experts in the Mentor ranks to cover our forums. We do not have such a person for a psychology sub-forum.

AndromedaRXJ said:
Under other sciences, I noticed there's no psychology or sociology subforum. Aren't these branches of science?

Because:

• its existence does not necessary mean that it has to be included. Availability of expertise to moderate, the demand, and the frequency of posts in that topic also dictate whether a topic is granted its own subforum.
  • psychology already has public forums dedicated to it (do a search if you don't believe me). So why would someone wanting discuss such a topic, with experts in the field or people interested/dedicated to it, go to physics forum? That's almost as rational as someone in the psychology forum wanting a physics subforum, when clearly, PF already exists.
Zz.

Likes dlgoff, pinball1970 and BillTre
Is psychology a real science or a social science?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
BWV said:
Is psychology a real science or a social science?
I'd say it is an empiric science, where neurology is the attempt to turn it into an inductive science.

Likes BillTre
Look at the organization of this forum's boards. Where do you believe a Psychology question or topic should fit? If you feel you want to post something of Psychology, then ask yourself:

• Can my question fit in the Other Sciences section, in the Biology And Medical subforum?
  • Can my question fit in the Lounge/The Root Square section, in the Art, Music, History, Linguistics subforum?
  • Does the question maybe not fit into either of those?

Now decide how to place your question.

Understand that Physicsforums is geared toward Natural Sciences; not necessarily toward Behavioral Sciences. Psychology is not a very strong fit to S.T.E.M. The S part of the acronym typically calls for the Natural Sciences not including the behavioral sciences.

Likes pinball1970 and Bystander
symbolipoint said:
Look at the organization of this forum's boards. Where do you believe a Psychology question or topic should fit? If you feel you want to post something of Psychology, then ask yourself:

• Can my question fit in the Other Sciences section, in the Biology And Medical subforum?
  • Can my question fit in the Lounge/The Root Square section, in the Art, Music, History, Linguistics subforum?
  • Does the question maybe not fit into either of those?

Now decide how to place your question.

Understand that Physicsforums is geared toward Natural Sciences; not necessarily toward Behavioral Sciences. Psychology is not a very strong fit to S.T.E.M. The S part of the acronym typically calls for the Natural Sciences not including the behavioral sciences.

But I think this is all moot. The FACT that there are already public forums dedicated to psychology means that people who come to PF and wanting to discuss issues regarding psychology is... is... LOST!

The only reason why I would go to a psychology forum and wanting to discuss physics is if I want to lead the blind and convince people who don't know any better that I'm correct on the topic that I may know very little about. I can sell my crackpottery there, and chances are, I won't get caught.

So why would someone go to a place lacking in experts in a particular topic, while ignoring other places dedicated to that very topic?

The above, in itself, with worthy of a psychological discussion... in a psychology forum.

Zz.

• Haha
Likes nomadreid

Related to Why is there no psychology subforum?

1. Why is there no psychology subforum?

The decision to create or not create a subforum for psychology is ultimately up to the administrators of the website. They may have determined that there is not enough demand or activity in the psychology field to warrant a separate subforum.

2. Can I request for a psychology subforum to be created?

Yes, you can make a request to the administrators to create a psychology subforum. However, they may or may not fulfill your request depending on various factors such as website traffic and community interest.

3. Are there any alternatives to a psychology subforum?

Yes, there may be other forums or discussion boards dedicated to psychology that you can join and participate in. You can also create a discussion thread in a related subforum or category on this website to discuss psychology topics.

4. Will a psychology subforum be created in the future?

It is impossible to say for certain whether or not a psychology subforum will be created in the future. It ultimately depends on the growth and demand for psychology-related discussions on this website.

5. Can I still discuss psychology topics in other subforums?

Yes, you are free to discuss psychology topics in relevant subforums or categories on this website. However, please be mindful of the forum rules and guidelines when starting a discussion in a non-psychology subforum.