Why is there a force pointing towards the center of a circular trajectory?

In summary, when considering circular motion, the force must always point towards the center of the trajectory because it is necessary for the momentum to be conserved. This is demonstrated by using the momentum principle and showing that the change in momentum can never point outwards the trajectory, but always points inwards. Additionally, as the time interval approaches zero, the average net force becomes equal to the actual net force, which is always directed towards the center of the trajectory in circular motion.
0kelvin

Homework Statement

Explain why in circular motion there is a force pointing to the center of the trajectory. Use the momentum principle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I choose two arbitrary points in the circular path and know that momentum and velocity are tangent to the trajectory at any point.

From ##\Delta \overrightarrow{p} = \overrightarrow{p_{f}} - \overrightarrow{p_{i}}## I know that picking up any two points in the trajectory, the change in momentum can never point outwards the trajectory, it always points inwards.

From ##\Delta \overrightarrow{p} = F_{net} \Delta t \iff \overrightarrow{F}_{net} = \frac{\Delta \overrightarrow{p}}{\Delta t}## I can say that ##\overrightarrow{F}_{net}## must point in the same direction as ##\Delta \overrightarrow{p}##.

Lastly, if I take ##\Delta t \rightarrow 0## I can see that ##\overrightarrow{F}_{net}## becomes closer and closer to ##\overrightarrow{F}_{net} \cdot \overrightarrow{v} = 0## or ##\overrightarrow{F}_{net} \cdot \overrightarrow{p} = 0##.

Is that a good explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The last line sounds like a problem... you say that a vector "becomes closer and closer" to a scalar equation?

Is the problem statement precise?
Is the motion uniform circular motion (so that ##\vec v\cdot \vec v =constant## and the net-force is radially inward)?
If not, then it is a general circular motion (allowing for speeding up and slowing down) (so the net-force need not point radially inward, although there will be a radially-inward component).

In addition,
I think you mean...
##\Delta \overrightarrow{p} = F_{net,average} \Delta t \iff \overrightarrow{F}_{net,average} = \frac{\Delta \overrightarrow{p}}{\Delta t}##

As ##\Delta t\rightarrow 0##, then ##\vec F_{net,average} \rightarrow F_{net}##.

(Sounds like the Matter and Interactions text. Is it?)

Force is proportional to acceleration. The normal acceleration (in any movement) is ##\frac{v^2}{R}\vec{u}_n##. In a circular motion (uniform or not) ##R## is constant and not zero, so ##\vec{F}_n = m\vec{a}_n = m \frac{v^2}{R}\vec{u}_n## is not zero (assuming v is not zero).

Matter and Interactions book.

Last line was an attempt to say that if I make ##\Delta t## really close to zero, the force vector is closer to being ##\perp## in relation to momentum and velocity.

0kelvin said:
Matter and Interactions book.

Last line was an attempt to say that if I make ##\Delta t## really close to zero, the force vector is closer to being ##\perp## in relation to momentum and velocity.
You are not asked to show they are orthogonal (and in general they won't be, as robphy pointed out). You are only asked to show there is a radial component of force.

I missinterpreted the question.

Forgot one important detail: coordinate system is cartesian and origin is at the center of the trajectory.

Choosing any two points in the trajectory exposes one problem:
if the two points are along the width of the circle, both momentum vectors are going to be parallel and the difference is a vector that doesn't points inwards but is tangent to the trajectory. In case the two points are the same, but one is placed "one lap" later, both vectors are going to be the same and the difference is going to be null.

There is a slightly missconception in ##\Delta t \rightarrow 0##. I was using that to explain why the vectors are orthogonal. While it's true for circular motion along a circunference, it's not for the orbit of planets. That operation is more closely related to explaining why there is an assumption that the force is constant. Because with ##\Delta t \rightarrow 0##, there is "not enough time" for a change in the magnitude of the force to be measured.

Third problem: I though that the question was the same as "Two students proposed two vectors to represent the force acting upon the object at one point of the trajectory. One is an arrow pointing towards the center of the circle, the other is an arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the former". As I see now, explaining why the force cannot point outwards it's slightly easier than explaining why the vector must point to the center of the trajectory, or, in case of a planet, why the force points to the center of mass of the other massive object its orbiting.

The answer given by the teacher was conceptualy much simpler: Use ##\overrightarrow{p}_{f} = \overrightarrow{p}_{i} + \overrightarrow{F} \Delta t##. If the vector with coordinates pointing outwards the center of the circle is applied, the curve would be in the opposite direction of the actual direction of the motion (if object is turning right and moving clockwise, force would make it turn left, which is absurd). Therefore, the vector pointing to the center of the trajectory is right and the other is wrong.

Last edited:

Related to Why is there a force pointing towards the center of a circular trajectory?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object in a circular path around a fixed point. This can occur when an object is acted upon by a force that is always perpendicular to its direction of motion, causing it to continuously change direction.

2. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object in circular motion. It is proportional to the mass of the object, the square of its velocity, and the radius of the circular path.

3. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational inertia of an object in motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. It is conserved in the absence of external torques.

4. How is momentum conserved in circular motion?

In circular motion, momentum is conserved because the centripetal force acting on the object does not change the magnitude of the object's velocity, but only its direction. Therefore, the object's momentum, which is the product of mass and velocity, remains constant.

5. How does circular motion affect the stability of objects?

Circular motion can affect the stability of objects in two ways. First, objects in circular motion experience a centripetal force that keeps them in their circular path. This force can make an object more stable by preventing it from moving in a straight line. However, if the centripetal force is not strong enough, the object may fly off its circular path, making it less stable.