Why is the voltage same here ?

• Thread starter oneplusone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of combining capacitors in series and parallel and how to solve for the charge on each capacitor based on their capacitance and voltage. It is important to understand the basics of capacitance, including the relationship between area and separation, in order to effectively solve these types of problems.
oneplusone

Homework Statement

C_1 = 5uF
c_2 = 10uF
C_3 = 2uF

Potential difference between a and b is 60 V.
What is the charged stored on C_3

Homework Equations

C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached.

My question is, why is the charge distribution from A to C the same as the distribution from C to B?
Sorry if the solution is unclear; I find it unclear as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 4.21.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 4.21.43 PM.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
You can start by calculating equivalent capacitance between both a-c and c-b.

Say the capacitance between a-c is X and between c-b is Y.

Does this mean the voltage is still the same at a-c and c-b even if ##X\ne Y##??

Im very confused (sorry!)

No. The two equivalent capacitances are in series. They do not share common terminals, so it's not necessary that they have the same voltage.

Okay, I'm still not getting it…

I know how to find the total charge by using C = Q/V.
I also know that we can make two effective capacitors (from a-c and b-c). So now it reduces to a known voltage from a-b and two equivalent capacitors, and the total charge. How do i proceed from here to find the charge on each of the two capacitors?

oneplusone said:
Okay, I'm still not getting it…

I know how to find the total charge by using C = Q/V.
I also know that we can make two effective capacitors (from a-c and b-c). So now it reduces to a known voltage from a-b and two equivalent capacitors, and the total charge. How do i proceed from here to find the charge on each of the two capacitors?
Capacitors in series receive equal Q (assuming there was no initial charge on any). Being in series, they see the same current, and for the same time/s.

Those equivalent capacitors are in series. The charge is the same on the series capacitors, like the current is the same in series resistors.

Imagine you join a pair of terminals of two capacitors and connect the free terminals to a battery.

Electrons will migrate from one plate to the positive terminal to the battery. That plate becomes positively charged, gets q charge. That positive charge attracts the negative charges on the opposite plate, its inner surface becomes negatively charged, by -q. As the plate itself is neutral, the outer surface becomes positive, but it neutralizes with the negative charges arriving from the plate of the other capacitor. That plate becomes positively charged with q. At the end, the other plate of the second capacitor becomes negative, with -q. Both capacitors have the same charge q, and their voltage are U1=q/c1 and U2=q/C2 and U1+U2=U(battery)

ehild

Attachments

• capser.JPG
    capser.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 355
So is this correct thinking:

You combine the capacitors into two capacitors in series, and since the charges on both of those are equal, you use C=Q/V so C_1V_1 = C_2V_2. Since C_1 and C_2 and V_1+v_2 is known, you can solve for it.

However, how do you solve if they are parallel? After breaking down the circuits, what do you do? (the top one specifically--how do you solve for it if it's parallel)

You combine the capacitors into two capacitors in series, and since the charges on both of those are equal, you use C=Q/V so C_1V_1 = C_2V_2. Since C_1 and C_2 and V_1+v_2 is known, you can solve for it.

However, how do you solve if they are parallel? After breaking down the circuits, what do you do? (the top one specifically--how do you solve for it if it's parallel)
You may have series and parallel mixed up.
Series is one-after-the-other, parallel is side-by-side. The diagram attached to post #7 (go look) is for capacitors in series.

When you want to think about combining capacitors, you want to go right back to basics with the physical parallel plate setup.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/pplate.html

Take two physical caps, same capacitance, so they have the same area plates A and the same separation between the plated d. You understand how the capacitance depends on A and d?

If in parallel, this is the same as a single capacitor with twice the area but same separation.
If in series, this is the same as a single capacitor with the same area but twice the separation.

Repeat for the case that A and d are different so that the capacitances are different.

oneplusone said:

The parallel capacitors have the same voltage across each. So U=q1/C1=q2/C2.

whild

Related to Why is the voltage same here ?

1. Why is the voltage the same everywhere in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop. This means that the current passing through each component is the same. Since voltage is defined as the potential difference between two points, the voltage remains the same throughout the circuit.

2. Why is the voltage the same between parallel resistors?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each resistor is the same because the two ends of each resistor are connected to the same two points in the circuit. This means that the potential difference between those two points is the same for all components connected in parallel.

3. Why is the voltage the same across a closed circuit?

In a closed circuit, the voltage remains the same because charge is conserved. This means that the amount of charge entering a component must be equal to the amount of charge exiting the component. Since voltage is directly proportional to charge, the voltage remains the same throughout the circuit.

4. Why is the voltage the same across a short circuit?

In a short circuit, there is a direct connection between the positive and negative terminals of a power source. This means that the voltage across the short circuit is equal to the voltage of the power source. Since there is no resistance in a short circuit, the voltage remains the same throughout the circuit.

5. Why is the voltage the same across a single component?

In a single component, such as a resistor, the voltage remains the same because of Ohm's law. Ohm's law states that the voltage across a component is directly proportional to the current passing through it and the resistance of the component. Since the resistance of a single component remains constant, the voltage across it also remains constant.