Why Is the Tension in a Rope Not Zero When Pulled Equally from Both Ends?

In summary, tension in a rope is the force that the rope exerts, and in order for a tension to be created, both ends of the rope must be pulled with the same force. The tension in the rope is simply the force applied, and is not affected by the magnitude or direction of the forces applied at each end.
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

If the two ends of a rope in equilibrium are pulled with forces of equal magnitude and opposite direction, why is the total tension in the *not* zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If there are two vectors with same magnitude and opposite direction their sum is zero. So, at the middle point that has to be in equilibrium. Are they asking what the sum is at the end of one side of the rope? Should I be taking the absolute value of each vector and adding them to equal a non zero number?

Physics news on Phys.org
DrummingAtom said:
If there are two vectors with same magnitude and opposite direction their sum is zero. So, at the middle point that has to be in equilibrium. Are they asking what the sum is at the end of one side of the rope?
No, they are checking that you understand what 'tension in a rope' means. That the net force on the rope is zero happens to be true, but that's not what defines tension.
Should I be taking the absolute value of each vector and adding them to equal a non zero number?
Nothing like that. You just have to know that tension is the force that the rope exerts. If each end is pulled with a force F, what's the tension in the rope?

doc al said:
nothing like that. You just have to know that tension is the force that the rope exerts. If each end is pulled with a force f, what's the tension in the rope?

T = F1+F2 Right?

DrummingAtom said:
T = F1+F2 Right?
Nope!

What force does the rope exert? You and I are playing tug of war. We both pull our ends with a force F. What force does the rope exert on each of us? (Recall Newton's 3rd law.)

Doc Al said:
Nope!

What force does the rope exert? You and I are playing tug of war. We both pull our ends with a force F. What force does the rope exert on each of us? (Recall Newton's 3rd law.)

The rope would be an equal opposite force on us, a force toward the center.

DrummingAtom said:
The rope would be an equal opposite force on us, a force toward the center.
Right. So what will be the tension in the rope in terms of F?

Doc Al said:
Right. So what will be the tension in the rope in terms of F?

Hmm, well:

If T2= -F2 and T1 = -F1.

And Ttotal = T2 + T1 then

Ttotal = -F2 + -F1

How's that?

DrummingAtom said:
Hmm, well:

If T2= -F2 and T1 = -F1.

And Ttotal = T2 + T1 then

Ttotal = -F2 + -F1

How's that?
Not quite it yet. For one, there's no T1 and T2 (at least for the usual 'massless' rope) or Ttotal, there's just a single tension. And there's nothing to calculate. If I pull on the rope with a force F, then the rope pulls back on me with a force F. And thus the tension in the rope is simply F.

What's confusing to most--and is the point of this question--is that in order for a tension to be created in the rope both ends must be pulled with the same force. And the tension created is just F, not 2F.

Doc Al said:
Not quite it yet. For one, there's no T1 and T2 (at least for the usual 'massless' rope) or Ttotal, there's just a single tension. And there's nothing to calculate. If I pull on the rope with a force F, then the rope pulls back on me with a force F. And thus the tension in the rope is simply F.

What's confusing to most--and is the point of this question--is that in order for a tension to be created in the rope both ends must be pulled with the same force. And the tension created is just F, not 2F.

Ahh, it's making more sense now. That explanation helps a lot. Thank you.

Related to Why Is the Tension in a Rope Not Zero When Pulled Equally from Both Ends?

1. What is a conceptual force?

A conceptual force is a force that is not directly measurable or observable, but is used as an explanation for certain phenomena or to describe the relationship between other forces.

2. How is a conceptual force different from a physical force?

A physical force is a force that can be directly measured and observed, while a conceptual force is an abstract concept used to explain certain phenomena.

3. What are some examples of conceptual forces?

Some examples of conceptual forces include gravity, electromagnetism, and strong and weak nuclear forces. These forces cannot be directly observed, but are used to explain the interactions between objects.

4. How are conceptual forces used in scientific research?

Conceptual forces are used in scientific research to help explain and predict the behavior of physical forces. They are also used to develop theories and models to better understand complex phenomena.

5. Can conceptual forces be proven or disproven?

No, conceptual forces cannot be proven or disproven as they are abstract concepts. However, they can be supported by evidence and used to make accurate predictions and explanations in scientific research.