Why is the Strong Force Responsible for Pi+ + Proton -> K+ + X?

In summary: QED.In summary, the strong force is significantly stronger than the weak force and it can conserve more things.
zanyzoya
Gold Member
Please can you help,
I have seen an exam question which asks which interaction is responsible for the following ...
Pi+ + proton >>>>> K+ + unknown particle X

The options for the answer include both the weak and the strong force. The actual answer is the strong force. What I would like to know is why the strong force is responsible rather than the weak force?
Many thanks
Zoya

Physics news on Phys.org
The strong force is significantly stronger than the weak force. Thus, if a process can occur through both, the dominant contribution will generally come from strong interactions.

In order for this to not be the case, the process must be forbidden in strong interactions.

Thanks for that. And am I right in thinking that either the strong or weak force could be responsible as only hadrons are involved, ie no leptons exist on either side of the equation? If there were leptons involved on either side then only the weak force could be responsible and not the strong?

for example in beta decay the weak force is responsible even though there are no leptons on the lhs and only on the rhs.

zanyzoya said:
Thanks for that. And am I right in thinking that either the strong or weak force could be responsible as only hadrons are involved, ie no leptons exist on either side of the equation? If there were leptons involved on either side then only the weak force could be responsible and not the strong?
That is one part of it, but the strong interactions also conserve many more things, such as quark flavor. There are generally several things to check. Of course, with X being an unknown particle you really cannot check quark flavor conservation.

Ah I see, thanks. Later on we are asked to find the strangeness of particle X. I guess strangeness wouldn't be conserved during the weak interaction and therefore you could not answer this question. Hence another reason the interaction must be due to the strong force.

Some weak interactions do conserve strangeness. The main reason it is a strong interaction is that it can be.

Related to Why is the Strong Force Responsible for Pi+ + Proton -> K+ + X?

1. What is the strong force?

The strong force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the weak force. It is responsible for holding together the subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons, that make up the nuclei of atoms.

2. How does the strong force work?

The strong force works by exchanging particles called gluons between quarks, which are the building blocks of protons, neutrons, and other particles. This exchange of gluons creates a strong attractive force that binds the quarks together to form larger particles.

3. Why is the strong force responsible for Pi+ + Proton -> K+ + X?

The strong force is responsible for this process because it is the force that holds the quarks together in the protons and pions, and allows them to combine to form the kaon and the unknown particle, represented by X.

4. What is the significance of this process?

This process is significant because it provides evidence for the existence of the strong force and its role in the structure of matter. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions at the subatomic level.

5. Are there any practical applications of this knowledge?

While the strong force and its role in this specific process may not have direct practical applications, understanding the fundamentals of particle physics and forces can lead to advancements in technology, such as nuclear energy and medical imaging technology.