Why is the spring constant changed

In summary, The spring constant of a spring changes when its length is halved depending on whether it is a real material or a Hookian spring. In a real material, the spring constant will change, whereas in a Hookian spring, the spring constant will remain constant. This is because in a real material, the number of coils is reduced, causing the same force to act on a smaller number of coils, resulting in an increased length. However, in a Hookian spring, the number of coils does not change and therefore, the spring constant remains the same. This concept can also be understood by considering the force required to stretch the spring, which changes when the spring is cut in half. Additionally, when two springs are hooked together,
Pranav Jha
what happens to the spring constant of a spring when it's length is halved? i think it has to change (guessing it is halved) but i don't know the physical reason which explains the change.

So, does the spring constant change or not when the length of the spring is changed (to be specific, when it is halved)? Please give a physically sound reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
or is the spring constant doubled?

The answer is it depends. In a real material yes, in a hookian spring the answer is no.

nnnm4 said:
The answer is it depends. In a real material yes, in a hookian spring the answer is no.

Isn't hookian spring a real material?
i just ran an internet search and the answers refer to the reduction in number of coils and thereby the same force when acting on half the number of coils increases the length by only half as much. Thus, the spring constant is doubled.
I think that makes sense and refers to springs following hooks law.
So, i couldn't get what you meant by differentiating between real material and hookian spring

Pranav Jha said:
what happens to the spring constant of a spring when it's length is halved? i think it has to change (guessing it is halved) but i don't know the physical reason which explains the change.
What's the definition of spring constant? How will the force required to get a certain elongation change when the spring is cut in half?

Another way to look at it: Imagine a spring of length L. If you stretch it by an amount ΔL, how much is each half of the spring being stretched?

Yet another way of looking at it: Imagine you hooked two spring together. For the same force, would the total elongation change? Would it be harder or easier to stretch the double spring?

Related to Why is the spring constant changed

1. Why does changing the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

Changing the spring constant changes the stiffness of the spring, which determines how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring. This ultimately affects the spring's ability to store and release energy, resulting in changes in its overall behavior.

2. How does the spring constant affect the period of a spring's oscillation?

The period of a spring's oscillation is directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the period of oscillation decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can the spring constant be changed without physically altering the spring?

Yes, the spring constant can be changed by altering the material or dimensions of the spring, or by applying an external force or stress to the spring.

4. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the force applied to a spring?

The spring constant is a measure of the spring's resistance to being stretched or compressed. It is directly proportional to the force applied to the spring, meaning that a higher spring constant requires more force to stretch the spring by the same amount.

5. What factors can cause the spring constant to change?

The spring constant can be affected by changes in temperature, material properties, or external forces applied to the spring. Additionally, the spring constant may change over time due to wear and tear on the spring.