Why is the result not always 0 in the product rule for derivatives?

In summary, when you have a function with two indices that are different, the extra term from the product rule is zero.
rayman123
[tex] [x_{\alpha}, p_{\alpha}]\psi(r)=[x_{\alpha}(-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{{ \partial x_\alpha}})-(-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{\alpha}})x_{\alpha}]\psi(r)[/tex]

why the result is

[tex] i\hbar\psi(r)[/tex] should not be 0?

and then the same situation
why in this case we get 0?

[tex] [x_{\beta}, p_{\beta}]\psi(r)=0[/tex] ? Can someone please explain it?

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to use the product rule for derivatives when you evaluate the term on the right, and if the indices are different (you made them the same in both your examples), the extra term that comes from the product rule is zero.

hm...i still do not know what they just don't dissapear..they have opposite signs..
Why does the first term on the right side of the equation just dissapear? and the second one remains?
you mean the rule
[tex] [f(x)g(x)]= f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)[/tex] ?

Yes that's the rule, but I would write the left-hand side as [tex](fg)'(x)[/tex]. You could also write it as [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\big(f(x)g(x)\big)[/tex]. Show us what you got so we can tell you what you did wrong.

this was made by our teacher on classes
[tex] [x_{\alpha}, p_{\alpha}]\psi(r)=[x_{\alpha}(-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{{ \partial x_\alpha}})-(-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{\alpha}})x_{\alpha}]\psi(r)=i\hbar(\frac{\partial}{\partial x_\alpha}}x_{\alpha})\psi(r)=i\hbar\psi(r)[/tex]
this was the first one

the second case was
[tex] [x_{\alpha}, p_{\beta}]\psi(r)=[x_{\alpha}(-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{{ \partial x_\beta}})-(-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{\beta}})x_{\alpha}]\psi(r)=0[/tex]

Those are correct, but you didn't actually include the step where you use the product rule.

becuase that step does not exist in the solution, that's why i do not get it, he just jumped over this moment and i don't know how make it myself

At least try. You have the product rule in front of you. Do you understand what it says?

oh i found it! so stupid i have missed it before
[tex] [x_{\alpha}, p_{\alpha}]\psi(r)=x_{\alpha}(-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{{ \partial x_\alpha}}\psi(r))+i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{\alpha}})(x_{\alpha}\psi(r))=-i\hbar x\frac{\partial\psi(r)}{\partial x}+i\hbar\psi(r)+i\hbar x\frac{\partial\psi(r)}{\partial x}=i\hbar\psi(r)[/tex]

thank you for your help

I'll try to pitch in, since I vividly remember being confused when I first saw this.

When you see ABf, with A and B operators and f some function, remember you first operate with B on f and then you operate with A on the result (which is a product in your case!). It's not [tex]Af \cdot Bf[/tex]

edit: never mind;)

Related to Why is the result not always 0 in the product rule for derivatives?

What is the product rule for derivatives?

The product rule for derivatives is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of the product of two functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

How do you apply the product rule for derivatives?

To apply the product rule for derivatives, you must first identify the two functions that are being multiplied together. Then, you take the derivative of each function separately. Finally, you plug the derivative values into the product rule formula to find the derivative of the overall product.

Why is the product rule for derivatives important?

The product rule for derivatives is important because it allows us to find the rate of change or slope of a function that is a product of two other functions. This is a common scenario in many real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering.

Can the product rule for derivatives be extended to more than two functions?

Yes, the product rule for derivatives can be extended to more than two functions. This is known as the generalized product rule and it states that the derivative of a product of n functions is equal to the sum of each function times the derivative of all the other functions. However, it becomes more complex as the number of functions increases.

Are there any common mistakes when using the product rule for derivatives?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can occur when using the product rule for derivatives. These include forgetting to take the derivative of each individual function, mixing up the order of the functions, and not distributing the derivative correctly. It is important to double check your work and practice using the product rule to avoid these mistakes.