Why is the "replacement fertility rate" not exactly 2?

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the "replacement fertility rate" is a demographic measure that represents the number of children a woman needs to have in order to replace herself and her partner in the population. While it is often assumed to be exactly 2, it is actually slightly higher due to factors such as infant mortality and the fact that not all women will have children. Additionally, as life expectancy increases, the replacement fertility rate may need to be higher to maintain a stable population size.
swampwiz
I've never understood this, and although I've had commenters give *qualitative* reasons, I'd like to get the raw mathematics on exactly this is so.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi swampwiz:

Noun1.fertility rate - the ratio of live births in an area to the population of that area; expressed per 1000 population per year
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/FERTILITY+RATE

Not all live birth babies survive to have children of their own.

Regards,
Buzz

Unless we know what you are talking about this topic has multiple answers. We need an explicit definition.

The reply above assumed humans. Other mammals can be similar.
Humans:
Which have 105:100 male female birth ratios and differential suvivorship which is gender dependent.
This is not true for fish, for example. Or Elm trees.

Hi swampwiz :

I found another Wikipedia definition that perhaps presents a clearer explanation.

Replacement fertility is the total fertility rate at which women give birth to enough babies to sustain population levels. According to the UN Population Division, a total fertility rate (TFR) of about 2.1 children per woman is called replacement-level fertility. If replacement level fertility is sustained over a sufficiently long period, each generation will exactly replace itself. The replacement level of TFR is dependent also on maternal mortality and child mortality, and, as such, it is higher in underdeveloped countries. The replacement fertility rate is indeed only slightly above 2.0 births per woman for most industrialized countries (2.075 in the UK, for example), but ranges from 2.5 to 3.3 in developing countries because of higher mortality rates, especially child mortality.​

Regards,
Buzz

• Informative
Likes atyy and Dale
Buzz Bloom said:
but ranges from 2.5 to 3.3 in developing countries because of higher mortality rates, especially child mortality
Oh, that is sad. It means roughly that out of every 3 kids one will die before adulthood

It would seem that the pre-motherhood mortality would be included in the fertility rate.

Perhaps my understanding of "fertility rate" is wrong, but I would imagine that it means "how many children does every woman eventually have". So a woman that dies before being of motherhood age would count the same as a childless woman that lives to a ripe old age.

I could see how a male/female birth ratio not being 1 could skew this. My understanding is that there are typically 1.06 males per females on average, so that would mean that 2.06 total children would produce a single female, and so the fertility rate would need to be ( 1 + X ) where X is this male-to-female ratio.

swampwiz said:
Perhaps my understanding of "fertility rate" is wrong, but I would imagine that it means "how many children does every woman eventually have". So a woman that dies before being of motherhood age would count the same as a childless woman that lives to a ripe old age.
It assumes that the woman survives until the end of her reproductive life.

Consider the math behind Cohort Life Tables (How you generate survivorship)
http://www.tiem.utk.edu/~gross/bioed/bealsmodules/lifetables.html

The link is for a plant species. The same arithmetic operations are done for every species for which this data is known.

Excel with human data - link: Notice the first few years (<5 y/a) of increase mortality.

The term you are defining above is fecundity, I think. Try that in a search.

Anyway, the number 2.1 is somewhat arbitrary and variable across populations. Which is why I asked for a citation. As the number goes above 2.1, it requires additional pregnancies.

Related to Why is the "replacement fertility rate" not exactly 2?

1. Why is the "replacement fertility rate" not exactly 2?

The replacement fertility rate, also known as the replacement level fertility, is the number of children a woman needs to have in order to replace herself and her partner in the population. This number is not exactly 2 because it takes into account factors such as infant mortality, gender imbalance, and population growth rate.

2. How is the replacement fertility rate calculated?

The replacement fertility rate is calculated by taking into account the mortality rate of infants and the gender imbalance in the population. It also considers the population growth rate and the number of children needed to maintain a stable population size.

3. What factors can affect the replacement fertility rate?

Several factors can affect the replacement fertility rate, such as access to education and healthcare, cultural and societal norms, economic stability, and availability of birth control methods. These factors can vary between different countries and can impact the fertility rate.

4. Why is the replacement fertility rate important?

The replacement fertility rate is important because it helps to determine the stability of a population. If the fertility rate is below the replacement level, it can lead to population decline and aging. On the other hand, a fertility rate above the replacement level can result in population growth and potential strain on resources.

5. Can the replacement fertility rate change over time?

Yes, the replacement fertility rate can change over time due to various factors such as advancements in healthcare, changes in societal norms and values, and economic conditions. It is important for governments and policymakers to monitor and understand these changes in order to plan for the future population growth and stability.