Why is the range of ø in spherical coordinates limited to 0 to π?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ranges of the spherical coordinates (ρ, θ, ø) and the confusion surrounding the range of ø, which only goes from 0 to π and not 0 to 2π. The reason for this is that ø represents the angle between the axis of the sphere and a line drawn through the center of the sphere to a given latitude, measured from the North Pole. This means that ø = 0 represents a line drawn through the North pole, ø = π/2 represents a line drawn to the equator, and ø = π represents a line drawn to the South pole. Going beyond π would result in repeated points on the sphere.
Modest Learner

Homework Statement

In spherical coordinates (ρ,θ,ø); I understood the ranges of ρ, and θ. But ø, still eludes my understanding. Why is ø only from 0 to π, why not 0 to 2π??

Physics news on Phys.org
Modest Learner said:

Homework Statement

In spherical coordinates (ρ,θ,ø); I understood the ranges of ρ, and θ. But ø, still eludes my understanding. Why is ø only from 0 to π, why not 0 to 2π??

Look at a diagram to see why.

Values of ø between from 0 to π cover the whole surface of the sphere. On maps of the Earth latitude is measured from -90 to + 90 degrees not 0 and 180, and longitude from -180 to +180 not 0 to 360, but the basic idea is the same.

652px-Latitude_and_Longitude_of_the_Earth.svg.png

## \phi = 0 ## is directly overhead, ## \phi = \pi ## is directly beneath your feet, where would ## \phi = 2\pi ## be?

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
Look at a diagram to see why.

If seeing the diagram would have had helped, then I would not have asked the question in the first place.

MrAnchovy said:
## \phi = 0 ## is directly overhead, ## \phi = \pi ## is directly beneath your feet, where would ## \phi = 2\pi ## be?

Okay, I have uploaded two attachments.

When I view from side, ø = π, covers only half the circle (see the picture). When I try to think of it as a clock, ø = π, covers 12 to 6. Now shouldn't ø = 1.5π cover 12 to 9, and ø = 2π cover the whole circle, and reach the same point as π = 0.

Also, in ø = π, the 3d section appears to me as a hemisphere. Shouldn't it be a total sphere??

Or maybe, I am confusing spherical coordinates with polar or cartesian coordinates??

Attachments

• spherical.jpg
    spherical.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 345
  • spherical 3.jpg
    spherical 3.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 337
Modest Learner said:
When I view from side, ø = π, covers only half the circle (see the picture).

So what you have shown is a coloured half-disk. For every point on that disk, Θ = 0. If you vary Θ from 0 to 2π the half-disk will sweep out a complete sphere.

Please explain further, I can't seem to understand.

EDIT: Okay, I think, I got a little idea of why ø = π would work. Basically, The up and down thing was exactly right. I think, I confused myself, when I added a sense of left and right. It is a total different axis, and the coordinates seem to do exactly the same thing, by putting θ = π to 2π.

MrAnchovy said:
So what you have shown is a coloured half-disk. For every point on that disk, Θ = 0. If you vary Θ from 0 to 2π the half-disk will sweep out a complete sphere.

Okay, this is the link,

http://mathinsight.org/spherical_coordinates

Since [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex], if we allowed [itex]\phi[/itex] to go also from [itex]0[itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex] some points would have two descriptions. For example, [itex]\theta= 3\pi/2[/itex], [itex]\phi= \pi/4[/itex] and [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]\phi= 7\pi/4[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex] and fixed value, say 1, designate the same point.

You can see that by converting to Cartesian coordinates: [itex]x= \rho cos(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= \rho sin(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/itex].

[itex]\rho= 1[/itex], [itex]\theta= 3\pi/2[/itex], [itex]\phi= \pi/4[/itex] gives [itex]x= 1(0)(\sqrt{2}/2)= 0[/itex], [itex]y= 1(-1)(\sqrt{2}/2)= -\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] and [itex]z= 1(\sqrt{2}/2)= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex].

[itex]\rho= 1[/itex], [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]\phi= 7\pi/4[/itex] gives [itex]x= 1(0)(-\sqrt{2}/2)= 0[/itex], [itex]y= 1(1)(-\sqrt{2}/2)= -\sqrt{2}/2[/itex], and [itex]z= 1(\sqrt{2}/2)= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Modest Learner said:
If seeing the diagram would have had helped, then I would not have asked the question in the first place.

If I was a mind-reader I would have known that. I had no way to know what you have, or have not looked at already.

Phi is the angle between the axis of the sphere and a line drawn through the center of the sphere to a given latitude, measured from the North Pole. It is equal to 90 degrees (i.e., ∏/2) minus the latitude. So, ø =0 represents a line drawn from the center of the sphere through the North pole, ø = ∏/2 represents a line drawn through the center of the sphere to any point on the equator, and ø =∏ represents a line drawn through the center of the sphere to the South pole.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thanks, got it.

Related to Why is the range of ø in spherical coordinates limited to 0 to π?

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system for locating points in three-dimensional space using three coordinates: radial distance from the origin, inclination angle from the positive z-axis, and azimuth angle from the positive x-axis.

2. How are spherical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

While Cartesian coordinates use three perpendicular axes (x, y, and z) to locate a point in space, spherical coordinates use a radial distance, inclination angle, and azimuth angle to locate a point on a sphere centered at the origin.

3. How do you convert between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, use the following formulas:
x = r * sin(θ) * cos(ϕ)
y = r * sin(θ) * sin(ϕ)
z = r * cos(θ)
To convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, use these formulas:
r = √(x² + y² + z²)
θ = arccos(z/r)
ϕ = arctan(y/x)

4. In what situations are spherical coordinates used?

Spherical coordinates are often used in physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving spherical objects or systems. They are also commonly used in astronomy to locate celestial objects in the sky.

5. Are spherical coordinates used in all three dimensions?

No, spherical coordinates are only used in three-dimensional space. In two-dimensional space, polar coordinates are used instead, which only require two coordinates: radial distance and angular direction from a reference point.