Why Is the Planck Scale a Limit in Cosmological Constant Calculations?

In summary: More precisely, what is the logic behind why ##M_{pl}^4## is not appropriate?In the paper, they say that ##M_{pl}^4## is not appropriate because it ignores the cosmological constant. They argue that the cosmological constant should be included in the calculation, because it is a term that plays a role at very large distances.1. "these photons couple to the metric", why, how, why this is important, etc?I'm not sure what you are asking.2. Why gravitons energy is used?The graviton energy is used to compensate for the effects of the cosmological constant.3. Why it is connected to the Hubble
exponent137
For instance, in introduction in https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0550321314001400 we can find that vacuum energy is proportional to ##k_{max}^4## where it is written that "If we believe the general relativity up to the Planck scale ##k_{max}=10^{19}GeV##"

And so the cosmological constant is calculated. The question here is why Planck scale is limitation in this calculation. (It is not my question here why such disagreement ##10^{120}## between measurement and calculation exists.)

Physics news on Phys.org
We know new physics has to happen the latest at this point - this new physics could introduce additional contributions, but they should in general be at least of the same order of magnitude as the contribution up to this point, unless some unknown feature makes the overall contribution very small.

Yes, this would be a new theory, but I am interested, why it is chosen in this calculation that ##k_{max}=## Planck energy? It is written in some links that this is a simple calculation.

exponent137 said:
why it is chosen in this calculation that ##k_{max}=## Planck energy?

Because that is our current best guess as to the energy scale at which GR breaks down, and therefore the energy scale at which we would expect such a calculation to be cut off.

Likes exponent137
1. Can the Lamb shift be a parallel pedagogical example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_shift?
The integral of excitations of vacuum is calculated between Bohr length and Compton wavelength. (Compton wavelength is in connection with the mass of the electron.)

2. In your example minimal possible black hole mass is one cut off, as said with different words? Another cut off is zero energy?

3. Can your sentence (best guess as to the energy scale at which GR breaks down) be written more precisely:
"best guess as to the energy scale at which quantum mechanics breaks down, because of an existence of quantum gravity, because the energy scale at which GR breaks down"? If I understand you correctly?

exponent137 said:
1. Can the Lamb shift be a parallel pedagogical example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_shift?
I don't think so.
exponent137 said:
2. In your example minimal possible black hole mass is one cut off, as said with different words? Another cut off is zero energy?
It is expected that the smallest possible black hole has a mass of the order of a Planck mass. This is not the cut-off discussed before.
exponent137 said:
"best guess as to the energy scale at which quantum mechanics breaks down, because of an existence of quantum gravity, because the energy scale at which GR breaks down"
No. What you wrote doesn't make sense.

Likes exponent137
What this calculation basically says, is that you expect a UV (ultraviolet)-divergence if you introduce the cosmological constant. Which is a bit weird, because the cosmological constant is a term which only plays a role at very large distances, hence in the IR (infrared). I guess that is the important message to take home from this calculation: usually in QFT's we can separate the IR from the UV, such that we can "integrate out" phenomena appearing at higher energy scales and we obtain effective field theories. The cosmological constant seems to contradict this paradigm.

Likes exponent137
exponent137 said:
For instance, in introduction in https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0550321314001400 we can find that vacuum energy is proportional to ##k_{max}^4## where it is written that "If we believe the general relativity up to the Planck scale ##k_{max}=10^{19}GeV##"

And so the cosmological constant is calculated. The question here is why Planck scale is limitation in this calculation. (It is not my question here why such disagreement ##10^{120}## between measurement and calculation exists.)

See this blog post by Sabine Hossenfelder,

http://backreaction.blogspot.ca/2017/12/the-cosmological-constant-is-not-worst.html

Point 4. in the above post references the interesting technical review "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About The Cosmological Constant Problem (But Were Afraid To Ask)" by Jerome Martin,

http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.3365

See also the interesting exchange between Hossenfelder and Don Lincoln in the comments section of the blog post.

Likes exponent137
George
I will read your links, this is what I need. But I will need some time because they are long. Can you please focus me, where it is written about the problem mentioned, ie, why the calculation uses ##k_{max}=##Planck energy, ie, why calculation is cut off at Planck energy.

Thanks also to others.

If George types in all the information in those links, why do you think it will be any less long?

I read your arXiv paper and also https://arxiv.org/pdf/1105.6296.pdf.
In page 3 above eq. (12) in https://arxiv.org/pdf/1105.6296.pdf, it is written how they estimated renormalisation scale ##\mu##. I do not understand their logic.
For instance:
1. "these photons couple to the metric", why, how, why this is important, etc?
2. Why gravitons energy is used?
3. Why it is connected to the Hubble parameter?
etc.

p.s. But I understand mainly why ##M_{pl}^4## is not appropriate, thus they introduce formula (12) or (11).

Last edited:

Related to Why Is the Planck Scale a Limit in Cosmological Constant Calculations?

1. What is the cosmological constant problem?

The cosmological constant problem, also known as the vacuum energy problem, is a mystery in cosmology that attempts to explain the discrepancy between the predicted and observed value of the cosmological constant in the universe. The cosmological constant is a term in Einstein's field equations that describes the energy density of empty space.

2. Why is the cosmological constant problem important?

The cosmological constant problem is important because it represents one of the biggest unsolved puzzles in modern physics. It has implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and the structure and evolution of the universe.

3. How does the cosmological constant affect the expansion of the universe?

The cosmological constant is thought to play a role in the accelerated expansion of the universe. It is believed that the vacuum energy associated with the cosmological constant causes a repulsive force that counteracts the attractive force of gravity, resulting in the expansion of the universe.

4. What are some proposed solutions to the cosmological constant problem?

There are several proposed solutions to the cosmological constant problem, including the anthropic principle, which suggests that the value of the cosmological constant is determined by the existence of intelligent life in the universe. Other solutions involve modifications to Einstein's equations, such as the introduction of a new field or a change in the theory of gravity.

5. Has the cosmological constant problem been solved?

No, the cosmological constant problem remains an unsolved mystery in modern physics. While there are proposed solutions, none have been definitively proven and the discrepancy between predicted and observed values of the cosmological constant remains a topic of ongoing research and debate.