Why is the phase angle not just -90 degrees?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a phase expression and how it differs from a simpler expression. It is explained that the phase of the denominator is a "second quadrant" angle, so it needs to be converted using inverse tangent. The speaker also mentions using the arctan2() command in MATLAB.
Cyrus
Can someone show me how they got this:

[tex]\frac{\omega_n^2}{-\omega^2+j2 \zeta \omega_n \omega}[/tex]

Has this phase:

[tex] -90-tan^{-1} \frac{ \omega}{2 \zeta \omega_n} [/tex]

Why isn't it simply:

[tex] 0 -tan^{-1} \frac{- 2 \zeta \omega_n}{ \omega} [/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Cyrus. Look at the denominator, it's phase is clearly a "second quadrant" angle. Inverse tan however only covers quadrands I and IV, so you want to express it as 180 - invtan(2 zeta omega_n / omega) right.

Now you're right to do what you did next, subtract the phase of the denom from the phase of the num to get :

-180 + invtan(2 zeta omega_n / omega).

Now just use invtan(x) = 90 - invtan(1/x) to get the desired expression.

BTW. Sorry that I'm too lazy to latex today, I hope you can follow it anyway.

Last edited:
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks uart!

Im so used to using arctan2() command in MATLAB that I forgot all this stuff.

Related to Why is the phase angle not just -90 degrees?

What is phase angle?

Phase angle is a measurement used in science and engineering to describe the relationship between two oscillating waveforms. It represents the difference in phase between the two waveforms, which can be thought of as the displacement in time between their peaks.

How is phase angle measured?

Phase angle is typically measured in degrees or radians. It can be calculated by determining the time difference between the peaks of the two waveforms and converting it into an angle measurement. Alternatively, it can also be measured using specialized equipment such as an oscilloscope.

What is the significance of phase angle?

Phase angle is important in many fields of science and engineering, including electrical engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to analyze the behavior of complex systems and to determine the relationship between different components in a system.

Can phase angle be negative?

Yes, phase angle can be negative. This typically occurs when the second waveform is shifted to the left of the first waveform, indicating that it is leading the first waveform in time. Negative phase angles can also be represented as positive angles greater than 180 degrees.

How is phase angle used in signal processing?

In signal processing, phase angle is used to analyze and manipulate signals. It can be used to determine the frequency of a signal, extract specific components from a signal, or to combine multiple signals. It is also used in digital signal processing to align and synchronize signals in order to improve their quality and accuracy.