Why is the normal force included in this plane's minimum radius problem?

In summary, Vykan12 provides a solution that does not include the normal force. The equation simplifies to r=v^2/6g. 330 m was the correct answer.
sakura741
Hi all,

Homework Statement

My problem is exactly the same as the one here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2377784

In the solution that Vykan12 provides (which results in the correct answer according to the textbook), however, there is a normal force included in the equation. I don't understand why this is so? From what I can tell, the question is about the plane, not the pilot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It is about the pilot,
What is the minimum radius of the plane's circular path if the pilot's acceleration at the lowest point is not to exceed 7.0g.
but he moves together with the plane. No need to calculate with the normal force. The pilot moves along a circular path, what is his acceleration in terms of the speed and radius of circle?

ehild

ehild said:
It is about the pilot, but he moves together with the plane. No need to calculate with the normal force. The pilot moves along a circular path, what is his acceleration in terms of the speed and radius of circle?

ehild

So there IS no normal force, meaning that the answer is indeed 3.8 x 10^2 m and not 3.3 x 10^2?

No, 330 m was the correct answer. ehild

I don't understand. This is how I solved it:

m=82 kg
v=150 m/s
a=7.0g

Fa is the 'upward force'

Fc = Fa - Fg
mv^2/r = ma - mg
v^2/r = a - g
v^2/(a-g) = r
r=v^2/(7g-g)
r=v^2/6g
r = (150m/s)^2/(6x9.8m^2/s^2)
=3.83 x 10^2 m

How do I get 330 m without using the force of normal, as is done in the solution in the link?

What do you call Fa? Is that not the normal force?

The acceleration of the plane (and the pilot) flying at constant speed v along a circle of radius R is equal to the centripetal acceleration. The acceleration can not exceed 7g. Fcp<7g. What is the problem?

ehild

Sorry, I don't understand?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I got it. Is the equation simply:

a = v^2/r?

Last edited:
sakura741 said:
Sorry, I don't understand?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I got it. Is the equation simply:

a = v^2/r?

Yes, it is that simple.

ehild

Okay, but I am wondering, why is it that the force of gravity does that not factor into the equation?

sakura741 said:
Okay, but I am wondering, why is it that the force of gravity does that not factor into the equation?

"The pilot's acceleration can not exceed 7g"

The acceleration is a=v2/R. The acceleration is 70 m/s2. It is simple logic that if a=b and b=c then a=c.

If the question was "The pilot feels 7g, what is the radius of the circle" then gravity would come in:
The pilot moves along a circle. The forces are gravity and normal force N (from the seat). So Fcp=N-mg. The pilot feels the normal force from the seat: N = 7mg.

ehild

Ah, okay. Thanks so much for your help!

You are welcome.

ehild

Related to Why is the normal force included in this plane's minimum radius problem?

1. What is a plane's minimum radius?

A plane's minimum radius refers to the minimum distance that a plane can turn without stalling or losing altitude. It is also known as the minimum turning radius or the radius of turn.

2. Why is a plane's minimum radius important?

A plane's minimum radius is important because it determines the capability of the plane to maneuver and change direction. It is a crucial factor in air transportation and aerial combat as it affects the safety and efficiency of the flight.

3. How is a plane's minimum radius calculated?

The calculation of a plane's minimum radius depends on various factors, including the speed, weight, lift, and thrust of the aircraft. It also takes into account the angle of bank, which is the angle of the plane's wings relative to the horizon. Generally, the higher the speed and the lower the angle of bank, the smaller the minimum radius will be.

4. Can a plane's minimum radius be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as weather conditions, altitude, and weight of the plane can affect the minimum radius. For example, strong winds or turbulence can increase the minimum radius, while a higher altitude or lighter weight can decrease it.

5. How can pilots adjust the minimum radius of a plane?

Pilots can adjust the minimum radius by changing the speed and angle of bank of the aircraft. They can also use flaps, ailerons, and other control surfaces to modify the lift and drag forces, which can affect the turning radius. Additionally, pilots can use advanced navigation systems and flight computers to optimize the minimum radius during the flight.