Why is the maximum bending stress not at the center of the beam?

In summary, the point on a bending beam that experiences the most stress is not necessarily the center, but rather the outermost fiber. This is due to the neutral plane, where there is no bending stress. The scientific explanation for this can be explained through formulas and principles related to pure bending.
nate9519
This isn't a homework question. I just have a thought I'd like an answer to. When I think of a bending beam it's obvious to me that the point on that beam which is under the most stress would be the center ( assuming equal loads on each side). my question is what is the scientific explanation for this and what formulas and principles are associated with an example like this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nate9519 said:
This isn't a homework question. I just have a thought I'd like an answer to. When I think of a bending beam it's obvious to me that the point on that beam which is under the most stress would be the center ( assuming equal loads on each side).

Why do you think this? What do you mean by "equal loads on each side"? Each side of what?

my question is what is the scientific explanation for this and what formulas and principles are associated with an example like this?

In a beam undergoing pure bending, the maximum bending stress (tensile and compressive) is actually located at the outermost fiber, as shown below.
The curved line drawn in the middle is called the neutral plane, and there is no bending stress on this plane.

http://www.foundationcoalition.org/resources/en/engr214/Chapter13/img67.png​

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller

Related to Why is the maximum bending stress not at the center of the beam?

What is stress in a bending beam?

Stress in a bending beam refers to the internal force or pressure that is exerted on a beam when it is subjected to a load or weight. It is a result of the beam's resistance to bending.

How is stress calculated in a bending beam?

Stress in a bending beam is calculated using the formula σ = (M*c)/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam.

What factors can affect stress in a bending beam?

The amount and distribution of the load, the material properties of the beam, the shape and dimensions of the beam, and the boundary conditions can all affect stress in a bending beam.

What are some common types of stress in a bending beam?

Some common types of stress in a bending beam include tensile stress, which occurs on the bottom of the beam, and compressive stress, which occurs on the top of the beam. Shear stress can also be present along the length of the beam.

How can stress in a bending beam be reduced?

To reduce stress in a bending beam, the design of the beam can be altered to better distribute the load, or the material properties of the beam can be changed. Adding additional supports or increasing the beam's dimensions can also help to reduce stress.