Why is the login timeout so short?

• Thread starter 2foolish
  • Start date
In summary, the login timeout is set to ensure the security of user accounts and prevent unauthorized access. It can be adjusted by the system administrator, but it is not recommended to have a longer timeout. The length of the timeout varies and cannot be changed for individual accounts. It is not possible to extend the timeout and users are advised to log out of their accounts when finished using them.
2foolish
Well anyone? I was trying to post a reply and the thing timed out and I lost my post, extremely frustrating, is there a way to change the time out and keep me logged in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simply tick the "Remember Me" box. Remember to log out if you using a public terminal, since your login won't timeout.

Related to Why is the login timeout so short?

1. Why is the login timeout so short?

The login timeout is set to ensure the security and protection of your account. It is a precautionary measure to prevent unauthorized access to your account in case you forget to log out or leave your device unattended.

2. Can the login timeout be adjusted?

Yes, the login timeout can be adjusted by the system administrator. However, it is not recommended to have a longer login timeout as it may increase the risk of unauthorized access to your account.

3. How long is the login timeout?

The length of the login timeout varies depending on the system and its settings. It can range from a few minutes to several hours. Contact your system administrator to find out the specific login timeout for your account.

4. Can I change the login timeout for my account only?

No, the login timeout is set for all accounts on the system. It cannot be changed for individual accounts as it is a security measure for the entire system.

5. Is there a way to extend the login timeout?

No, the login timeout is set by the system administrator and cannot be extended by individual users. It is important to ensure that you log out of your account when you are finished using it to prevent any unauthorized access.