Why is the gradient of a V-I graph equal to resistance for ohmic materials?

In summary, the resistance is equal to the gradient at any point for ohmic materials. This is because the gradient is the change in voltage over the change in current, which is the same as V/I for linear resistances.
Cici2017

Homework Statement

Is the resistance equal to V/I at any point, or is it the gradient at that point? And Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

shouldn't it be the gradient? because it is change in V over change in I?

Thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
Cici2017 said:
shouldn't it be the gradient? because it is change in V over change in I?
Yes, it's the gradient. But for ohmic materials (linear resistances), the gradient is same as V/I.
Can you say why?

cnh1995 said:
Yes, it's the gradient. But for ohmic materials (linear resistances), the gradient is same as V/I.
Can you say why?
Yes =) Thanks for making it clear :blushing:

Related to Why is the gradient of a V-I graph equal to resistance for ohmic materials?

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol "R" in equations.

How is resistance calculated from a V-I graph?

Resistance can be calculated from a V-I (voltage-current) graph by dividing the change in voltage (ΔV) by the change in current (ΔI). This is known as Ohm's Law: R = ΔV / ΔI.

What does the slope of a V-I graph represent?

The slope of a V-I graph represents the resistance of the material or component. A steeper slope indicates a higher resistance, while a flatter slope indicates a lower resistance.

What is the significance of the x-intercept on a V-I graph?

The x-intercept on a V-I graph represents the point at which there is no current flowing through the material or component, also known as the "open circuit" point. This can be used to determine the minimum amount of voltage required to start a current flow.

How can a V-I graph be used to determine the type of material or component?

The shape of a V-I graph can provide information about the type of material or component being tested. For example, a straight line graph indicates a linear resistor, while a curved graph may indicate a non-linear resistor or a diode.