Why is the gradient decreasing in the Blasius equation?

• Thread starter johnt447
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the Blasius equation for incompressible viscous flow. The speaker has successfully solved for f' and plotted a graph of flow speed against η. They are now trying to extend it to different values of x and are using an equation for du/dy from a book. They are confused about the gradient and whether it should increase or decrease as x increases. The other person suggests that they use f' to find the dimensional velocity profiles at a given x location. They also clarify the meaning of gradient and how it relates to a derivative. The speaker later mentions that they have managed to resolve their issue and clarify that when they said gradient, they were referring to the rate of change of speed
johnt447
Blasius equation help :(

Hello so I'm working on the blasius solution for incompressible viscous flow. So far I have solved for f' and successfully plotted a graph of flow speed against [tex]\eta[/tex]. So from what I understand this is correct I got a gradient of velocity from 0 to the flow speed. Now i want to extend it to different values of x. Now this is my issue, the book I have has a equation for du/dy so my plan was find the gradient for each different value of x, hence since i know it always starts at 0 and ends at the flow speed i could find the points in between. Although when trying the equation out I found my gradient was in fact decreasing as x increases. As far as I understood the gradient (du/dy) should become larger as x increases. The equation I'm using is this
[tex]\frac{du}{dy}=V_{\infty}\sqrt{\frac{V_{\infty} }{\nu x}}f''(0)[/tex]

where [tex]V_{\infty}[/tex] is flow speed, [tex] \nu [/tex] is kinematic viscosity, u is speed and why y and x are the coordinates.

So what I did was use the equation with f''(0) bit included I wasn't sure if that has to change I thought since the gradient in a incompressible flow is constant.

I was thinking would it be ok (and not cheating :P) to just find the gradient manually say we know at the edge of a boundary layer u=10 and at the surface u=0 and hence we also know the value of y for each one we could find the gradient that way instead of using the above formula

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to be careful how you use the term gradient here. You seem to use it inconsistently and what seems to be incorrectly here.

At any rate, you are making this much harder than necessary. If you correctly solved for f'(eta), you have all you need. Since eta is a similarity variable incorporating both x and y an f' is nondimensional velocity, all you need to find the dimensional velocity profiles at a given x location is to plug in your x and sweep across y to get f' and just multiply that by the free stream velocity.

Keep in mind that you generally have to go to eta=10 to get outside the boundary layer, so as you move farther along in x, expect to have to go to larger y values. Physically, this is the boundary layer growing as it moves downstream. This means that te velocity gradient will actually get smaller as you move downstream.

boneh3ad said:
You need to be careful how you use the term gradient here. You seem to use it inconsistently and what seems to be incorrectly here.

At any rate, you are making this much harder than necessary. If you correctly solved for f'(eta), you have all you need. Since eta is a similarity variable incorporating both x and y an f' is nondimensional velocity, all you need to find the dimensional velocity profiles at a given x location is to plug in your x and sweep across y to get f' and just multiply that by the free stream velocity.

Keep in mind that you generally have to go to eta=10 to get outside the boundary layer, so as you move farther along in x, expect to have to go to larger y values. Physically, this is the boundary layer growing as it moves downstream. This means that te velocity gradient will actually get smaller as you move downstream.

Thanks for the reply but how do i go around finding a dimensional velocity profile? What do i plug in my x value to in order to get a dimensional velocity? (Also what is the te velocity gradient?)

Do you mean use [tex]\eta=y\sqrt{\frac{V_{\infty}}{\nu x}}[/tex] where i would just put in a value of x and go through all the values of y up to the boundray height finding a new eta each time? Thing is if i do this surely I can get any value of eta but my program can only find a finite value of eta

Last edited:

Yes, you just plug your x location into eta and then sweep through the y direction. It will give you a range of etas to use. You will obviously still need to know viscosity and free stream velocity.

Doing this will give you f', which can be multiplied by the free stream to get the dimensional velocity.

And gradient means the multi-dimensional derivative of a function. It is often just used to refer to a single derivative as well. The way you were using it seemed off, but I may have just misinterpreted the way you were using it.

boneh3ad said:
Yes, you just plug your x location into eta and then sweep through the y direction. It will give you a range of etas to use. You will obviously still need to know viscosity and free stream velocity.

Doing this will give you f', which can be multiplied by the free stream to get the dimensional velocity.

And gradient means the multi-dimensional derivative of a function. It is often just used to refer to a single derivative as well. The way you were using it seemed off, but I may have just misinterpreted the way you were using it.

Thanks managed to get it sorted earlier today when i said gradient i wasn't meaning the grad function but like the gradient of how speed is changing with y similar to y/x is a gradient of a line

That is because for a straight line, y/x is the derivative.

Related to Why is the gradient decreasing in the Blasius equation?

What is the Blasius equation and why is it important?

The Blasius equation is a mathematical equation that describes the laminar boundary layer flow over a flat plate. It is important because it is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics and is used to model many real-world situations, such as air flow over airplane wings or water flow over ship hulls.

What are the assumptions made in the Blasius equation?

The Blasius equation assumes that the flow is steady, incompressible, and laminar. It also assumes that the flow is two-dimensional and that there is no pressure gradient in the direction of flow.

How is the Blasius equation solved?

The Blasius equation is a third-order nonlinear ordinary differential equation, which can be solved using various numerical methods, such as the shooting method or the Runge-Kutta method. It can also be solved analytically using the similarity method.

What are the applications of the Blasius equation?

The Blasius equation is used in various engineering fields, such as aerospace, naval architecture, and chemical engineering. It is used to model laminar boundary layer flow over flat plates, which is important in the design and optimization of objects that interact with fluids.

Can the Blasius equation be used for turbulent flow?

No, the Blasius equation is only applicable for laminar flow. For turbulent flow, different equations such as the Prandtl-Kármán equation or the Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes equations must be used.