Why is the force and acceleration positive?

In summary, the conversation was about a physics problem involving a car in collision and calculating the net force applied. The person asking the question was confused about the signs in the equations and the use of vectors in the solution. The expert summarizer explains that the confusion comes from mixing up vectors, vector components, and vector magnitudes. They also mention that the notation used in the problem may have contributed to the confusion.
starstruck_
Hi! So someone came up to me with this question during physics and its been bothering me because I didn't know what to say to them and I didn't know if my understanding is correct or not. The question was something like:

" A 72 kg car is traveling at v=63km an hour when it gets into a collision, coming to a stop in d= 14 m.

Calculate the magnitude of the net force applied on the car. When I did my whole equation rearranging stuff using 0= v1^2+2(-a)d

I got a= v1^2/(2a) and hence, force = ma= m(v1^2/(2d)).
When I did it I was like okay great got everything I need, I'm good to go so I didn't really think about the signs of my answers, so I really didn't knoe what to say to the person who asked me why the signs were positive when, when you're stopping and set the direction of your displacement as positive, your force and acceleration come put negative even though they're opposing your motion.

I tried to give an answer in that we've already accounted for the fact that acceleration is negative in our initial expression, but if we were to put it back into v2^2=v1^2+2ad we would put in the negative of the answer and that we changed that plus sign to a minus sign so we accounted for the negative direction of the acceleration and just need the positive magnitude? I don't know.

It made sense to me mathematically so :/

Can someone help out? This is really bothering me for some reason

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration is in the negative x direction, and the net force is also in the negative x direction. If you write the force as a vector involving the unit vector in the x direction, what do you get?

I think a clearer notation in terms of vectors and components might be helpful.

Let's assume 1-d motion in the x-direction.
There may be some confusion distinguishing the "magnitude of a vector" from the "x-component of the vector" when dealing with 1-d motion.
In [itex]v_f^2=v_i^2+2a\Delta x [/itex],
is the symbol "[itex]a[/itex]" the x-component [itex]a_x[/itex] or the magnitude [itex] \|\vec a\| [/itex]?

[itex]v_f^2=v_i^2+2a\Delta x [/itex],
is really a vector equation
[itex]v_f^2=v_i^2+2\vec a\cdot \Delta \vec x [/itex],
which can be written in terms of components
[itex]v_f^2=v_i^2+2 a_x \Delta x [/itex]For an object traveling in the positive-x direction (so [itex]\Delta x >0[/itex] and [itex]v_x>0[/itex]),
an acceleration [itex] a_x<0[/itex] decreases the velocity [itex]v_x[/itex] and
(because [itex] a_x v_x<0[/itex]) decreases the speed [itex]v=|\vec v|[/itex].
When you express [itex]a_x[/itex] in terms of the magnitude of acceleration vector, then [itex]a_x=-\| \vec a\| [/itex].

Similarly, instead of [itex] F_{net}=m a[/itex]
write
[itex]\vec F_{net}=m \vec a [/itex]
or
[itex] F_{net,x}=m a_x[/itex].

(Interpreting [itex] F_{net}=m a[/itex] as magnitudes
means [itex] \| \vec F_{net}\|=m \| \vec a\| [/itex], which is true, but says nothing about directions.)

starstruck_ said:
I really didn't knoe what to say to the person who asked me why the signs were positive
Positive signs in some equation don't imply positive numerical values. For example: X = Y doesn't imply that X and Y are positive, just that they have the same sign. They could both be negative as F and a are in your case.

$$\vec{a}=\left(-\frac{v_i^2}{2d}\right)\vec{i_x}=\left(\frac{v_i^2}{2d}\right)(-\vec{i_x})$$
$$\vec{F}=m\vec{a}=m\left(-\frac{v_i^2}{2d}\right)\vec{i_x}=m\left(\frac{v_i^2}{2d}\right)(-\vec{i_x})$$

A.T. said:
Positive signs in some equation don't imply positive numerical values. For example: X = Y doesn't imply that X and Y are positive, just that they have the same sign. They could both be negative as F and a are in your case.

Right so basically all I really got from solving the equation was the magnitude for my acceleration and force, because I already accounted for the fact that my acceleration was negative earlier?

starstruck_ said:
Right so basically all I really got from solving the equation was the magnitude for my acceleration and force, because I already accounted for the fact that my acceleration was negative earlier?
Did my post #5 not work for you? What was not clear?

Chestermiller said:
Did my post #5 not work for you? What was not clear?

Sorry, I wasn't able to see the symbols off mobile, but now that I can see them, so you've taken acceleration and multiplied it with a unit vector in the negative x direction? Which is the same as using a unit vector in the positive x direction, making acceleration negative?

Does this mean, that once I plugged in "-a" into the equation, I had essentially multiplied acceleration with a unit vector in the negative x direction, hence resulting in a positive a value?

starstruck_ said:
Sorry, I wasn't able to see the symbols off mobile, but now that I can see them, so you've taken acceleration and multiplied it with a unit vector in the negative x direction? Which is the same as using a unit vector in the positive x direction, making acceleration negative?

Does this mean, that once I plugged in "-a" into the equation, I had essentially multiplied acceleration with a unit vector in the negative x direction, hence resulting in a positive a value?
Looking st the equations I wrote for the acceleration vector and the force vector, how could you possibly think that these vectors are pointing in the positive x direction? And , when you are talking about the magnitude of a vector, are you unaware that the magnitude is always regarded as positive?

starstruck_ said:

You're right. The correctly-written version of the equation you used is ##v_x^2=v_{xo}^2+2a_x\Delta x## because it's a relationship between the x-components of the velocity and acceleration vectors. Thus you substituted ##-a## for ##a_x## where ##a## is some positive constant, a scalar. It is really this mix up between vectors, vector components, and vector magnitudes that is the source of the confusion you experienced. Few textbook authors make this distinction clear, probably because the notation is cumbersome when you insist on putting a subscript of ##x## on all those variables. One introductory physics textbook author who is conscientious about this is Randy Knight. You can find his textbook on the web, despite the fact that it's a commercial publication.

Mister T said:
You're right. The correctly-written version of the equation you used is ##v_x^2=v_{xo}^2+2a_x\Delta x## because it's a relationship between the x-components of the velocity and acceleration vectors. Thus you substituted ##-a## for ##a_x## where ##a## is some positive constant, a scalar. It is really this mix up between vectors, vector components, and vector magnitudes that is the source of the confusion you experienced. Few textbook authors make this distinction clear, probably because the notation is cumbersome when you insist on putting a subscript of ##x## on all those variables. One introductory physics textbook author who is conscientious about this is Randy Knight. You can find his textbook on the web, despite the fact that it's a commercial publication.

I just tried working with the equation without subbing in a negative acceleration right away and wow I'm dumb, this makes sense! Thank you! I should probably open up my linear algebra textbook some day, I know what unit vectors are but uh I don't remember anything to do with them.

Related to Why is the force and acceleration positive?

1. Why is the force and acceleration considered positive?

The force and acceleration are considered positive because they are both vectors that have a magnitude and a direction. In physics, positive direction is usually associated with the direction of motion or the direction of a force that causes motion. Therefore, when the force and acceleration have positive values, it means that they are acting in the same direction as the motion.

2. How does a positive force affect acceleration?

A positive force causes an acceleration in the same direction as the force. This means that the object will speed up if the force and acceleration are both positive. For example, if you push a toy car in the forward direction, the force and acceleration are both positive and the car will start moving forward with an increasing speed.

3. Can a negative force result in a positive acceleration?

Yes, a negative force can result in a positive acceleration if the force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion. This happens when an object is slowing down or decelerating. For instance, if you push a toy car in the forward direction but then apply a force in the opposite direction, the force would be negative and the acceleration would be positive as the car slows down.

4. What is the relationship between force and acceleration in terms of Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the force acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Therefore, a positive force will result in a positive acceleration, and a negative force will result in a negative acceleration.

5. Can the force and acceleration ever be opposite in direction?

No, the force and acceleration cannot be opposite in direction. This is because a force is required to cause an acceleration, and the direction of the force and the direction of the acceleration must be the same. If the force and acceleration were opposite, the object would not experience any acceleration and would remain at rest or in a state of constant motion.