Why is the entropy calculated differently in the microcanonical ensemble?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entropy in the context of a microcanonical ensemble. The phase volume, denoted by ##\Gamma(E,N,V)##, contains all points in ##\Gamma## space with energy lower than or equal to ##E##. For a microcanonical ensemble in the energy range ##[E,E + \delta E]##, the corresponding volume is given by ##\omega(E,N,V)=\Gamma(E+\delta E,N,V)-\Gamma(E,N,V)##. The entropy is then calculated as ##S(E,N,V)=k_Bln(\omega(E,N,V))##. For large ##N##, it is shown that ##S=k_Bln(\omega(E))\approx
LagrangeEuler
Homework Statement
Ideal gas which consist of ##N## identical particles which moving free inside volume ##V## where all collisions between particles and walls of container are absolute elastic. Calculate phase volume ##\Gamma##, entropy ##S##, temperature ##T## and pressure of gas.
Relevant Equations
Hamiltonian
[tex]H=\sum^{3N}_{i=1}\frac{p_i^2}{2m}[/tex]
[tex]\Gamma(E,N,V)=\int_{H(p,q) \leq E}\frac{dpdq}{h^{3N}N!}[/tex]
I have a problem to understand why this problem is microcanonical ensemble problem? And why entropy is calculated as
[tex]S(E,N,V)=\ln \Gamma(E,N,V)[/tex]
When in microcanonical ensemble we spoke about energies between ##E## and ##E+\Delta E##.

Physics news on Phys.org
##\Gamma(E,N,V)## is defined as the phase volume which contains all points in ##\Gamma## space with energy lower than or equal to ##E##. Regarding a microcanonical ensemble in the energy range ##[E,E + \delta E]##, the corresponding volume is given by ##\omega(E,N,V)=\Gamma(E+\delta E,N,V)-\Gamma(E,N,V)##.
For the entropy, one has then ##S(E,N,V)=k_Bln(\omega(E,N,V))##.

For very large ##N##, one finds that the following definitions for the entropy are identical up to terms of order ##lnN## and constants:
##S_{\omega}=k_Bln(\omega(E))## and ##S_{\Gamma}=k_Bln(\Gamma(E))##

Have a look, for example, at chapter 2.2 of Statistical Physics by Manfred Sigrist: https://www.e-booksdirectory.com/details.php?ebook=6060

Last edited:
Yes undestand what you want to say. But is not than the case that entropy
[tex]S=k_Bln(\omega(E))=k_Bln(\Gamma(E+\delta E))[/tex]
Because in large number of dimension almost all volume of sphere is concentrated around the surface.

Last edited:
$$\omega(E,N,V)=\Gamma(E+\delta E,N,V)-\Gamma(E,N,V) =\frac {\partial \Gamma(E,N,V)} {\partial E} \delta E$$

Yes I understand what is ##\omega##. My question is why
[tex]S=k_Bln(\omega(E))=k_Bln(\Gamma(E+\delta E))[/tex]?

LagrangeEuler said:
Because in large number of dimension almost all volume of sphere is concentrated around the surface.
You already have the answer.

If I understand the notation correctly, then for large ##N##: ##\omega(E) \approx \Gamma(E)##

I am confused there. Because if I have that n large number of dimension almost all volume of sphere is concentrated around the surface. That means to my mind that if energy changes from ##E-\Delta E## to ##E## that I can use approximation that we are talking about.

Sorry, I'm not understanding your problem.

LagrangeEuler said:
Yes I understand what is ##\omega##. My question is why
[tex]S=k_Bln(\omega(E))=k_Bln(\Gamma(E+\delta E))[/tex]?
You overcomplicate the issue:
[tex]S=k_Bln(\omega(E))\approx k_Bln(\Gamma(E))[/tex]
holds for a microcanonical ensemble with energies between ##E## and ##E+\delta E## in case of very large ##N##. Have a look at equations (2.43) and (2.44) in chapter 2.2 of Statistical Physics by Manfred Sigrist.

Last edited:

Related to Why is the entropy calculated differently in the microcanonical ensemble?

1. What is the Microcanonical Ensemble?

The Microcanonical Ensemble is a statistical mechanics model used to describe the behavior of a closed physical system in equilibrium. It assumes that the system is isolated and has a fixed energy, volume, and number of particles.

2. What are the assumptions of the Microcanonical Ensemble?

The Microcanonical Ensemble assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium, isolated from its surroundings, and has a fixed energy, volume, and number of particles. It also assumes that all microstates of the system are equally likely to occur.

3. How is the Microcanonical Ensemble different from other ensembles?

The Microcanonical Ensemble differs from other ensembles, such as the Canonical and Grand Canonical ensembles, in that it does not allow for the exchange of energy or particles with its surroundings. It also does not consider the system to be in contact with a heat bath.

4. What is the significance of the Microcanonical Ensemble?

The Microcanonical Ensemble is significant because it allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a closed system, such as the entropy, temperature, and internal energy, without the need for external parameters. It also provides a link between the microscopic and macroscopic behaviors of a system.

5. How is the Microcanonical Ensemble used in practice?

The Microcanonical Ensemble is used in practice by calculating the probability of a system being in a particular microstate, based on the number of microstates available to the system. This information can then be used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of the system, such as the entropy, temperature, and internal energy.