Why is the concept of a one dimensional box used?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a one-dimensional box in quantum mechanics and its significance in understanding the fundamental principles of the subject. While some find it unnecessarily confusing and prefer to refer to it as a particle on a line segment, others argue that it serves as a useful model for understanding important concepts such as discrete energy levels and degeneracy. Additionally, it is noted that this concept also has relevance in fields such as chemistry. The conversation concludes by emphasizing the importance of starting with a simple model in order to build a strong understanding of the subject.
pa5tabear
I'm not sure I know all that I should to understand it. I'm posting to try and determine if I do.

Knowing what I know, however, it seems unnecessarily confusing. Almost all students I talk to agree.

Why not just call it a particle on a line segment? Or just moving in one dimension?

Physics news on Phys.org
you assume that the walls are infinite in two other dimensions. it is not a one dimensional problem per se: two other dimensions decouple and their solutions are just plane waves, the interesting part is in the dimension where walls stand.

Quantum mechanics of one dimension is very different.

I've seldom heard it referred to as a "one-dimensional box." Usually it's called the infinite square well. It may not be the most realistic potential, but it's easy to solve and gives you some intuition about how quantum mechanics works (you can see the discrete energy levels, you can do simple calculations with the position and momentum operators, etc.). For a two- or three-dimensional infinite square well, you can start to discuss degeneracy too, which is essential later on. I think it's basically just a simple model that illustrates a lot of important concepts.

it also has some relevance for chemistry, for polyenes.

you have to start with something...

its like why you start classic physics with F=const in one dimension

Related to Why is the concept of a one dimensional box used?

What is a one dimensional box?

A one dimensional box is a theoretical concept used in physics and mathematics to represent a system that is confined to a one dimensional space. It is often used as a simplified model to study the behavior of particles or waves in a restricted environment.

Why is the concept of a one dimensional box used?

The one dimensional box is used as a simplified model because it allows scientists to study the behavior of particles or waves in a confined space without the complexities of three dimensional systems. It also helps in understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and wave mechanics.

How does a one dimensional box differ from a three dimensional box?

A one dimensional box is a system that is confined to a single dimension, such as a line. In contrast, a three dimensional box is a system that is confined to three dimensions, such as a cube. This means that particles or waves in a one dimensional box can only move in one direction, while those in a three dimensional box can move in three directions.

What are some real-life examples of a one dimensional box?

One real-life example of a one dimensional box is a particle trapped in a very narrow tube or channel. Another example is a photon traveling through a fiber optic cable, which can be thought of as a one dimensional space. Additionally, sound waves in a long, thin pipe can also be modeled as a one dimensional box.

How does the concept of a one dimensional box relate to quantum mechanics?

The concept of a one dimensional box is closely related to the principles of quantum mechanics. It helps in understanding the wave-particle duality of particles, as well as the quantization of energy levels in confined systems. The one dimensional box is often used as a starting point for studying more complex quantum systems.