Why is the collision angle 90 degrees in a 2d collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between two balls, with one being stationary and the other moving at an angle. The collision results in the balls parting at a 90 degree angle, which was measured on two occasions. The use of momentum conservation and possibly energy conservation is suggested to explain why the angle is 90 degrees.
SELFMADE

Homework Statement

Stationary ball is placed 20 degrees to the right of the moving ball's trajectory. Both balls are of same weight. Collision occurs and balls part at 90 degree angle. We measured it and it was 90 degrees on two occasions.

Explain why it is 90.

Homework Equations

Momentum conservation law?

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't think of any

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a collision, so yes use momentum conservation, but remember that this is a two-dimensional collision.. Is there anything else that is conserved? What do you think?

Honestly if I knew I wouldn't ask.

Can someone please, at least, tell me what topic to read?

Bump, anyone?

Read about two-dimensional collisions and momentum conservation. Then read about conservation of energy. Apply these ideas to your problem.

I swear to god I read the whole chapter on impulse and momentum on friday night. There was nothing about angle. I know you're not suppose to reveal direct answers but for christs sake, can I get a break?

anyone?

It's strange that there was nothing about angle in that chapter on momentum. Momentum has to be conserved in both the x and y directions, so write out the equations for those. Energy is also roughly conserved; if it wasn't, the balls would stick together and not part. So you have three equations: two for conservation of momentum and one for conservation of energy. Solve them.

momentum has to be conserved in both the x and y directions,

ok i see now

Related to Why is the collision angle 90 degrees in a 2d collision?

What is a 2D collision?

A 2D collision occurs when two objects in a two-dimensional space come into contact with each other, resulting in a change in their velocities and directions.

What are the factors that affect a 2D collision?

The factors that affect a 2D collision include the masses of the objects, their velocities, the angles at which they collide, and the elasticity or stiffness of the objects involved.

How do you calculate the outcome of a 2D collision?

The outcome of a 2D collision can be calculated using the laws of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. These equations take into account the initial velocities and masses of the objects, as well as the angles and elasticity of the collision.

What are the different types of 2D collisions?

There are two types of 2D collisions: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only the momentum is conserved and some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

Why are 2D collisions important to study?

2D collisions are important to study because they are a fundamental aspect of physics and can be observed in many real-world scenarios, such as in sports, car crashes, and even on a molecular level. Understanding 2D collisions can also help us design and improve safety measures to prevent accidents and injuries.