Why is the characteristic different from 2?

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem about symmetric quadratic forms and a linear transformation that transforms the form into a simpler form. The condition $\text{ch}\,K \neq 2$ is mentioned as a necessary condition for the result to hold.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

In my notes, there is the following theorem:

Theorem:

Let $Q(X_1, X_2, \dots, X_n)=\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij} X_i X_j$

$$a_{ij}=a_{ji}, \ \ \ \ ch K \neq 2 ( \text{ Characteristic of polynomial })$$

symmetric quadratic form of $n$ variables.

There is a linear transformation of the coordinates, so that, finally, $Q(X_1, X_2, \dots, X_n)$ is transformated to the form:

$$Q'(X_1, X_2, \dots, X_n)=\sum_{i=1}^r l_i X_i^2, i=1,2, \dots, r, l_i \neq 0$$How do we conclude that $ch K \neq 2$ ? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Theorem:

There is a linear transformation of the coordinates, so that, finally, $Q(X_1, X_2, \dots, X_n)$ is transformated to the form:

$$Q'(X_1, X_2, \dots, X_n)=\sum_{i=1}^r l_i X_i^2, i=1,2, \dots, r, l_i \neq 0$$How do we conclude that $ch K \neq 2$ ? (Thinking)

Hey! (Happy)Can you clarify what you mean by $\text{ch K}$? (Wondering)I can tell you that the spectral theorem for real symmetric matrices says that:
$$A = B^T D B$$
where $D$ is a diagonal matrix of real eigenvalues and $B$ is an orthogonal matrix of eigenvectors. (Nerd)

It follows that:
$$Q = x^T A x = x^T (B^T D B) x = (Bx)^T D (Bx)$$

In other words, $B$ identifies the linear transformation and the $l_i$ are the eigenvalues. (Mmm)

evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Theorem:

The statement $\text{ch}\,K \ne2$ is not a conclusion, it is a condition. In fact, the result fails if the characteristic of the underlying field (not the polynomial!) is $2$.

Related to Why is the characteristic different from 2?

1. Why is the characteristic different from 2?

The characteristic is different from 2 because it is a unique feature or trait that distinguishes one object from another. In mathematics, the characteristic is a property of a field that describes the number of times we can add the identity element to itself before getting back to the identity element. In this case, the characteristic cannot be equal to 2 because we cannot add the identity element (1) to itself once and get back to 1.

2. How is the characteristic calculated?

The characteristic of a finite field can be calculated using the prime factorization of the order of the field. If the order is a power of a prime number (i.e. p^n), then the characteristic is equal to that prime number (p). If the order is not a power of a prime number, then the characteristic is equal to 0.

3. What is the significance of the characteristic in a field?

The characteristic of a field has important implications in algebraic structures and number theory. It helps us understand the structure and behavior of elements in a field, and it also plays a crucial role in solving polynomial equations. In addition, the characteristic can determine the existence and properties of certain subfields within a larger field.

4. Can the characteristic of a field change?

Yes, the characteristic of a field can change. In fact, there are fields with different characteristics that have the same order. For example, a finite field with 4 elements (GF(4)) has characteristic 2, while a finite field with 5 elements (GF(5)) has characteristic 5. However, the characteristic of a field cannot be changed by any field operations, as it is a fundamental property of the field.

5. How does the characteristic affect field operations?

The characteristic of a field affects field operations in multiple ways. For example, if the characteristic is 0, then all the numbers in the field can be added and subtracted without any restrictions. On the other hand, if the characteristic is a prime number, then certain elements in the field will have a finite order and cannot be used in certain operations. In addition, the characteristic determines the structure and properties of the field, which can impact the efficiency and complexity of field operations.