Why Is the Calculated Angular Momentum of the Pucks Zero?

In summary: The SI unit for angular momentum is kg m2/s. Therefore, the angular momentum of the system would be:In summary, the angular momentum of the system of three small, identical pucks whirled in circular motion at an angular speed of 3.0 s-1 is 0.525 kg m2/s. This is calculated by finding the angular momentum of each puck (0.70 kg m2/s) and adding them together, as the direction of the angular momentum vectors is perpendicular to the plane of rotation.
Joshua A

Homework Statement

Three small, identical 0.70-kg pucks are attached to identical 0.50-m strings, tied together at a common center as shown in (Figure 1) . Pucks are whirled in circular motion at angular speed 3.0 s-1

grvcgrd.jpg

What is the magnitude of the angular momentum of the system about the common center?

Homework Equations

I = mr2
Lθ = Iwθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Angular momentum is a vector, therefore the angular momentum of this system should be 0 kg m2/s as all the vectors will cancel out. The magnitude of that is also 0 kg m2/s.

Apparently this answer is wrong. Where am I going wrong? When they ask for the magnitude of the angular momentum, do they want me to find the magnitude of the angular momentum for each puck and then add the magnitudes together?

Attachments

• grvcgrd.jpg
    grvcgrd.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 2,096
Physics news on Phys.org
Joshua A said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Angular momentum is a vector, therefore the angular momentum of this system should be 0 kg m2/s as all the vectors will cancel out. The magnitude of that is also 0 kg m2/s.

Apparently this answer is wrong. Where am I going wrong? When they ask for the magnitude of the angular momentum, do they want me to find the magnitude of the angular momentum for each puck and then add the magnitudes together?

What is the direction of the angular momentum vectors?

PeroK said:
What is the direction of the angular momentum vectors?

The direction of the angular momentum vectors should be the same as the angular velocity vectors. I had assumed that the direction of the angular velocity vector would be in the direction of the motion of the puck (i.e. along the t axis). Looking back through my textbook, they do not actually specify a direction for the angular velocity, just the magnitude of the angular velocity. From a Google search, it seems that the direction is actually perpendicular to the plane of rotation, therefore the vectors would not cancel out as they are all pointing the same direction.

I assume the answer should then be:
Lθ1 = (0.70kg)(0.50m)2(3.0s-1)

for puck 1, and the same for pucks 2 and 3. Then the angular momentum of the system would be Lθ = Lθ1 + Lθ2 + Lθ3

Joshua A said:
From a Google search, it seems that the direction is actually perpendicular to the plane of rotation, therefore the vectors would not cancel out as they are all pointing the same direction.

Yes. In 2D motion, angular velocity (and momentum) is often simplified to a signed scalar: anticlockwise is positive and clockwise is negative. For 3D motion, you have to consider the full vector nature.

Joshua A said:
I assume the answer should then be:
Lθ1 = (0.70kg)(0.50m)2(3.0s-1)

for puck 1, and the same for pucks 2 and 3. Then the angular momentum of the system would be Lθ = Lθ1 + Lθ2 + Lθ3

What is the SI unit of angular velocity?

PeroK said:
What is the SI unit of angular velocity?

Angular velocity? s-1 (or rad/s - normally, as far as I know, rad isn't specified)
Angular momentum is kg m2/s

Joshua A said:
normally, as far as I know, rad isn't specified
The SI unit is rad/s, but radians are generally considered dimensionless.

Related to Why Is the Calculated Angular Momentum of the Pucks Zero?

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object that describes its tendency to keep rotating. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is Angular Momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate at which it is rotating) and the direction of rotation.

3. What is the significance of Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a fundamental concept in physics and is conserved in a closed system, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. It is used to describe the motion of objects such as planets, electrons, and spinning tops, among others.

4. What are Angular Momentum Vectors used for?

Angular Momentum Vectors are used to represent the magnitude and direction of an object's angular momentum. They are also used in calculations and equations to describe the motion and behavior of rotating objects.

5. How does Angular Momentum relate to other concepts in physics?

Angular momentum is closely related to other concepts in physics, such as torque, rotational inertia, and angular velocity. It also plays a role in many theories and laws, including the conservation of angular momentum and the laws of motion.