Why is technetium the only unstable element in its group?

• Thread starter jduster
  • Start date
In summary, the reason for technetium's instability lies in its odd atomic number, which makes it difficult for the nucleus to attain a stable configuration compared to its neighboring elements with even atomic numbers. This is due to the spin and energy levels of protons and neutrons, as well as the presence of stable isotopes of neighboring elements such as molybdenum and ruthenium. While there is no definitive answer as to why certain elements have more stable isotopes than others, this trend can be observed by looking at the number of stable odd isotopes for each element.
jduster
I've viewed lots of questions on the internet of this nature and almost all of them dodged the question or simply gave an answer tantamount to "because it is".

I already know that Technetium is unstable and radioactive.

What exactly on an atomic level prevents Technetium from being stable when all of the other adjacent nearby elements are just fine. What makes 43 protons unstable, but 44 and 42 protons perfectly fine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I barely know any chemistry, but I can say that 44 and 42 protons are perfectly fine likely because they are even numbers.

There seems to be a very prevailant trend that even numbered atomic numbers have more stable isotopes. I have no idea why, sorry. It suggests that only some "special" number of neutrons makes an odd numbered element fit together in a way that makes it stable, and maybe that special number for the technetium nucleus either can't exist, or is just crazy rare, or that possibility would be unstable anyway for other reasons (like the ratio of protons to neutrons, since that is a factor.)

Instead of looking at in terms of technetium being unstable, I view it as only having one less stable isotope than most other odds. It seems a little less weird that way.

Sorry I can't give you an answer, I can just offer some "connections." I too am interested in an answer on this.

Last edited:
Wikipedia has a good overview.

The reason for the odd/even difference:
Protons and neutrons have spin 1/2, each energy level can be occupied by two of them (one with "spin up", one with "spin down"). Therefore, even numbers of protons (or neutrons) fit nicely into low energy levels, while the next proton (or neutron) has to go to the next higher energy level. This makes it easier to undergo beta decay - the nucleus gets rid of the additional proton (or neutron).
Therefore, elements with an odd number of protons have less stable isotopes. Technetium is just a fluctuation where "barely stable" becomes "not stable any more".

Technetium is an odd element.

For an odd element, mostly odd isotopes are stable. For an element, both even and odd isotopes are stable. Also odd isobars rarely have more than one of them stable while even isobars often have several.
Listing elements by the number and specifics of their odd isotopes - omitting the even:
1: 1 - 1
2: 1 - 3
(All 5 isobars are unvound)
3: 1 - 7
4: 1 - 9
5: 1 - 11
6: 1 - 13
7: 1 - 15
8: 1 - 17
9: 1 - 19
10: 1 - 21
11: 1 - 23
12: 1 - 25
13: 1 - 27
14: 1 - 19
15: 1 - 31
16: 1 - 33
17: 2 - 35 and 37
18: 0
19: 2 - 39 and 41
20: 1 - 43
21: 1 - 45
22: 2 - 47 and 49
23: 1 - 51
24: 1 - 53
25: 1 - 55
26: 1 - 57
27: 1 - 59
28: 1 - 61
29: 2 - 63 and 65
30: 1 - 67
31: 2 - 69 and 71
32: 1 - 73
33: 1 - 75
34: 1 - 77
35: 2 - 79 and 81
36: 1 - 83
37: 1 - 85
38: 1 - 87
39: 1 - 89
40: 1 - 91
41: 1 - 93
42: 2 - 95 and 97
43: 0
44: 2 - 99 and 101
45: 1 - 103

So, does the pattern of the number of stable odd isotopes reveal any shell effects? Element 43 is like 18 in being between 2 elements with 2 stable odd isotopes each and not having any itself. But 30 is the same position does have 1 stable odd isotope.

All these still don't answer the question

Onyinyechi said:
All these still don't answer the question

As mfb said, Wiki has the answer. Specifically:

"...for every number of nucleons from 95 to 102, there is already at least one stable nuclide of either molybdenum (Z=42) or ruthenium (Z=44). For the isotopes with odd numbers of nucleons, this immediately rules out a stable isotope of technetium, since there can be only one stable nuclide with a fixed odd number of nucleons. For the isotopes with an even number of nucleons, since technetium has an odd number of protons, any isotope must also have an odd number of neutrons. In such a case, the presence of a stable nuclide having the same number of nucleons and an even number of protons rules out the possibility of a stable nucleus."

Related to Why is technetium the only unstable element in its group?

1. Why is Technetium unstable?

Technetium is unstable because it has an odd number of protons, which creates an imbalance in the forces that hold the nucleus together. This makes it more likely for the nucleus to decay and release energy in the form of radiation.

2. How does the odd number of protons in Technetium affect its stability?

The odd number of protons creates an imbalance in the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleus together. This makes it more likely for the nucleus to decay and release energy, making Technetium an unstable element.

3. Can Technetium be made stable?

Technetium can be made stable by adding or removing protons or neutrons from its nucleus. This process is called nuclear transmutation and can only be achieved through nuclear reactions in a laboratory setting.

4. Why is Technetium the only naturally occurring radioactive element?

Technetium is the only naturally occurring radioactive element because it has a relatively short half-life of only 4.2 million years. This means that all of the Technetium that was present during the formation of the Earth has since decayed, making it a rare element on our planet.

5. Is Technetium used in any practical applications despite its instability?

Despite its instability, Technetium is used in many practical applications, particularly in the field of nuclear medicine. Technetium-99m, a radioactive isotope of Technetium, is used in medical imaging for diagnosing various diseases and conditions. It is also used in small amounts in industrial processes, such as in smoke detectors and thickness gauges.