Why is strain greater in longer wires?

In summary, the Young's Modulus of a material is typically measured using a long, thin wire due to the fact that stress is greater in thinner wires. This is because stress and strain are relative to the dimensions of the body, whereas force and extension are not. Understanding this concept is crucial in accurately measuring the Young's Modulus.
God of War 90
I'm doing A-Level physics and I've been answering questions on Young's Modulus. I need to be able to explain why a long, thin wire is used when measuring the Young's Modulus of a material. I can give an explanation of why stress due to the wire being thinner is greater but I don't know why stress is greater in a thinner wire. Any help in understanding this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Physics news on Phys.org
First take a look at the heading for your question in the light of your definition for strain.

What is your definition for strain?

Then look at your definition for stress.

Hint
Stress and strain are both relative to (depend on) the dimensions of the body concerned.

Force and extension are not.

Related to Why is strain greater in longer wires?

1. Why does the strain increase in longer wires?

The strain in a wire is directly related to the length of the wire. As the wire gets longer, the amount of strain it experiences also increases. This is because the longer wire will have a greater amount of material to stretch or compress, leading to a higher strain value.

2. How does the length of a wire affect its strain?

The length of a wire has a direct relationship with its strain. This means that as the length of the wire increases, the strain it experiences also increases. This is due to the fact that longer wires have more material, which results in a higher amount of stretching or compression.

3. What is the relationship between wire length and strain?

The relationship between wire length and strain is directly proportional. This means that as the length of a wire increases, the strain it experiences also increases. This is because longer wires have a greater amount of material, which leads to a higher amount of stretching or compression.

4. Why is the strain higher in longer wires?

The strain in a wire is affected by the length of the wire. Longer wires have a higher amount of material, which results in a greater amount of stretching or compression. This leads to a higher strain value compared to shorter wires.

5. How does the strain in longer wires affect their strength?

The strain in longer wires can significantly affect their strength. As the strain increases, the wire becomes weaker and more prone to breaking. This is because the material in the wire is being stretched or compressed beyond its limits, making it less able to withstand external forces.