Why is special relativity a local phenomenon?

In summary, the requirement that special relativity applies only locally comes from the fact that it is exact only for a flat spacetime. Spacetime is not globally flat, so special relativity can only be applied in regions where the curvature and gravitational effects are negligible. On larger scales, the curvature and gravitational effects of galaxies and clusters invalidate special relativity. This does not mean that special relativity is completely invalid, but rather that it can only be used in certain situations.
sunrah
Where does the requirement come from that special relativity applies only locally? It is not immediately obvious from the two postulates. I'm asking because this is important for the validity of the Hubble Law.

Physics news on Phys.org
sunrah said:
Where does the requirement come from that special relativity applies only locally? It is not immediately obvious from the two postulates. I'm asking because this is important for the validity of the Hubble Law.

Special relativity applies only locally because special relativity is exact only for a flat spacetime, and spacetime is not globally flat. Thus, we can only use special relativity across regions of spacetime that are small enough that the curvature and gravitational effects are negligible.

Likes bcrowell
Thanks. I thought that spacetime was flat and with no discernible non-trivial topology. Do you mean that the gravitational effect of galaxies and clusters is enough to invalidate SR on large scales.?

sunrah said:
invalidate SR on large scales.?
What I have read from Nugatory in post #2 is that SR is not a large scale theory. So how could it be invalidated on scales it is not working in ?

That's splitting hairs. Invalidate here means that any application of SR over large distances would be invalid.

I don't understand what you mean. SR does not explains why an apple falls. Does it invalidate SR in our mind ? Is a hammer invalid because I cannot use it on a screw ?

sunrah said:
I thought that spacetime was flat and with no discernible non-trivial topology.

You're probably thinking of the average spatial curvature on cosmological scales. That's different from the spacetime curvature, which is definitely nonzero. GR describes gravity as curvature, so if there were no spacetime curvature, there would be no gravity in the universe.

I think @Nugatory and @bcrowell answered your question and so we'll close the thread here.

Likes 15characters

Related to Why is special relativity a local phenomenon?

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the relative motion of objects.

2. Why is special relativity considered a local phenomenon?

Special relativity is considered a local phenomenon because it only applies to objects in relative motion within a small region of space. It does not take into account the effects of gravity or the curvature of space-time, which are described by general relativity.

3. How does special relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

Special relativity explains time dilation by showing that time is relative and can appear to pass at different rates for observers in different frames of reference. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers.

4. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in special relativity as it is the maximum speed at which all objects and information can travel. It is a fundamental constant that is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

5. How does special relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Special relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing a framework for explaining the behavior of objects in motion and the relationship between space and time. It has also led to the development of other important theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, which have helped us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.