Why is sinh-1(x) not equal to 1/sinh(x)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convention of using the notation sinh-1(x) to represent the inverse hyperbolic sine function, rather than 1/sinh(x). This convention is due to the fact that the natural operation between functions is composition rather than multiplication. The symbol μ is used as an index in this context. The conversation also mentions the preference for using the notation arcsin(x) to avoid ambiguity. It is noted that there is no ambiguity in programming languages.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum.
I saw once that sinh-1(x) is arcsinh(x). The reverse of sinh
Why not sinh-1(x) is 1/sinh(x)?
While x-1 = 1/x
Is it just a 'convention' between mathematician?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum.
I saw once that sinh-1(x) is arcsinh(x). The reverse of sinh
Why not sinh-1(x) is 1/sinh(x)?
While x-1 = 1/x
Is it just a 'convention' between mathematician?

Thanks.

For the same reason that [itex]\sin^{-1}(x)=\arcsin(x)[/itex]. It's merely a convention. Meanwhile, [itex]1/\sin(x)[/itex] is instead given the function name [itex]\csc(x)[/itex] and similarly, [itex]1/\sinh(x)=csch(x)[/itex].

Wow, that fast. Thanks!
So what is 1/sin(x)? No power?
And what is sin-2(x)? 1/sin2(x)?

Mentallic said:
Meanwhile, [itex]1/\sin(x)[/itex] is instead given the function name [itex]\csc(x)[/itex]
Csc, cosecant? If it's cosecant than it's ##Arcsin(\sqrt{1-sin^2(x)})##

Stephanus said:
Wow, that fast. Thanks!
So what is 1/sin(x)? No power?
Right, you wouldn't represent 1/sin(x) with a power. You'd leave it as such or replace it with csc(x).

Stephanus said:
And what is sin-2(x)? 1/sin2(x)?
1/sin2(x) doesn't appear often enough to warrant much criticism about how it should be denoted. I would always leave it in that form, but if you're unhappy with it or have other reasons to change it, the most obvious choice is to go with csc2(x), but never make it sin-2(x) because that just causes confusion.

Stephanus said:
Csc, cosecant? If it's cosecant than it's ##Arcsin(\sqrt{1-sin^2(x)})##
How so?

[tex]\csc(x)=\frac{1}{\sin(x)}[/tex]
while
[tex]\arcsin(\sqrt{1-\sin^2(x)})=\arcsin(\sqrt{\cos^2(x)})=\arcsin(|cos(x)|)[/tex]

Mentallic said:
Right, you wouldn't represent 1/sin(x) with a power. You'd leave it as such or replace it with csc(x).1/sin2(x) doesn't appear often enough to warrant much criticism about how it should be denoted. I would always leave it in that form, but if you're unhappy with it or have other reasons to change it, the most obvious choice is to go with csc2(x), but never make it sin-2(x) because that just causes confusion.How so?

[tex]\csc(x)=\frac{1}{\sin(x)}[/tex]
while
[tex]\arcsin(\sqrt{1-\sin^2(x)})=\arcsin(\sqrt{\cos^2(x)})=\arcsin(|cos(x)|)[/tex]
The answer 'convention' in previous post is enough. It's just that in SR forum, someone says ##T = \frac{c}{a} sinh^{-1}(\frac{at}{c})## I calculate it using ##T = \frac{c}{a * sinh(\frac{at}{c})}##. I'm having trouble accepting sinh-1 is not 1/sinh. Once you said, it's a 'convention', I let that go.
Thanks.

You're welcome. Whenever you see a trig function with a -1 power, always think of the inverse and not the reciprocal.

Likes Stephanus
This convention is not an oddity though, it is related to the fact that the natural, generally defined operation between functions is composition rather than multplication. ##f^{-1}## is the inverse of ##f## under the composition operation, not under multiplication, and in the same way ##f^n## designates ##f## iterated ##n## times. Of course it can conflict with usage of multiplicative exponent sometimes, but generally the composition interpretation is the default one (polynomial functions are the main exception I guess).

Likes Stephanus
wabbit said:
This convention is not an oddity though, it is related to the fact that the natural, generally defined operation between functions is composition rather than multplication. ##f^{-1}## is the inverse of ##f## under the composition operation, not under multiplication, and in the same way ##f^n## designates ##f## interated ##n## times.
Okay, it's a matter of "favor"? In variable it's the power of division, right?

Btw can I ask here?
Proper acceleration in Relativity.
We can go further and define the proper acceleration of the particle by
##A^{\mu} = \frac{dU^{\mu}}{d\tau}##
What does this symbol ##\mu## mean?

Stephanus said:
Okay, it's a matter of "favor"? In variable it's the power of division, right?
Of multiplication rather. ##x^{-1}## is the multiplicative inverse of ##x##, defined by the equation ##x^{-1}×x=1##, while ##f^{-1}## is the composition inverse of ##f##, defined by the equation ##f^{-1}\circ f=Id## (##1## and ##Id## being the identity element of the corresponding operation).

But yes, it is a matter of context / usage, the exponent notation generally refers to some operation iterated or inverted, but which operation is implied can be ambiguous.

Btw can I ask here?
What does this symbol ##\mu## mean?
Ah, completely unrelated usage : ) It's just an index here (corresponding to the components of the vector), not an operation.

Last edited:
Likes Mentallic
wabbit said:
Of multiplication rather. ##x^{-1}## is the multiplicative inverse of ##x##, defined by the equation ##x^{-1}×x=1##,
Yes. I understand completely
wabbit said:
##f^{-1}\circ f=Id## (##1## and ##Id##.
Yes.
wabbit said:
Ah, completely unrelated usage : ) It's just an index here (corresponding to the components of the vector), not an operation.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

My math professor rants about this endlessly =D

Basically, the -1 superscript is just an unfortunate convention of writing for "inverse" that we somehow got stuck with. So sinh-1(x) should be read "inverse hyperbolic sine of x" (sometimes sinh(x) will be pronounced like "Cinch of x") rather than "1 divided by the hyperbolic sine of x". Personally though I very much prefer to write arcsin(x) because 1.) words like "Arcsine" and "Arctangent" just sound so pretty and 2.) they avoid any possible ambiguity.

jack476 said:
My math professor rants about this endlessly =D

Basically, the -1 superscript is just an unfortunate convention of writing for "inverse" that we somehow got stuck with. So sinh-1(x) should be read "inverse hyperbolic sine of x" (sometimes sinh(x) will be pronounced like "Cinch of x") rather than "1 divided by the hyperbolic sine of x". Personally though I very much prefer to write arcsin(x) because 1.) words like "Arcsine" and "Arctangent" just sound so pretty and 2.) they avoid any possible ambiguity.
Yeah I (being a perfectionist) have trouble with this term either. But who I am to protest.
...they avoid any possible ambiguity
That's why I choose computer programming. No ambiguity in programming language :biggrin:

Stephanus said:
That's why I choose computer programming. No ambiguity in programming language :biggrin:

types.png

Likes Mentallic
micromass said:
types.png
So, what is
1. "2" + "2" -> ??
2. "2" + "3" -> ??
3. What's the difference between NaN and NaP?
4. Why [1,2,3] + 2 is False? I see no comparison in [1,2,3] + 2
5. Why [1.2.3] + 4 is True? Are No 4 and No 5 binary operators?
6. Is [1,2,3] = 1 and 2 and 3?
7. Why 2 / (2 - (3/2 + 1/2)) = NaN.00000013. NaN with point? I see that 2/(2-(3/2+1/2) = 2/0 = NaN
8. Why + 2 = 12?
9. Why 2 + 2 = Done?
10. Shouldn't Range (1,5) -> (1,2,3,4,5) not (1,4,3,4,5)?
Care to tell me how it works? :smile:

Stephanus said:
Care to tell me how it works?
xkcd - complicated math humor.

Svein said:
xkcd - complicated math humor.
I think I didn't get the joke :smile:

That's alright- it was a bad joke!

By the way, you titled this thread "negative power of a function". When a "-1" is used to indicate the "inverse function", as in "[itex]f^{-1}[/itex], that is not considered a "power".

Likes Stephanus
HallsofIvy said:
That's alright- it was a bad joke!
Yeah. Like saying "Achilles can't catch the turtle no matter how fast he runs"
HallsofIvy said:
By the way, you titled this thread "negative power of a function". When a "-1" is used to indicate the "inverse function", as in "[itex]f^{-1}[/itex], that is not considered a "power".
Now you tell me after all the calculation that I make using 1/sinh(x) instead of arcinh(X) :smile:

Related to Why is sinh-1(x) not equal to 1/sinh(x)?

1. What is the negative power of a function?

The negative power of a function is a mathematical concept that represents the inverse relationship between a function and its input. It is denoted by a negative exponent, such as f(x)^-1, and is equivalent to taking the reciprocal or inverse of the original function.

2. How is the negative power of a function calculated?

The negative power of a function is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the function. For example, if the function is f(x) = x^3, the negative power would be f(x)^-1 = 1/x^3.

3. What is the significance of the negative power of a function?

The negative power of a function has several applications in mathematics and science. It is commonly used in calculus to represent an inverse relationship between a function and its input. It is also used in physics to describe relationships between variables in equations.

4. Can a function have a negative power?

Yes, a function can have a negative power. This is common in exponential functions, where the negative power represents an inverse relationship between the function and its input. However, not all functions have a negative power, as some may not have a well-defined inverse.

5. How does the negative power of a function affect its graph?

The negative power of a function can affect its graph in several ways. For exponential functions, a negative power will cause the graph to mirror across the y-axis. In general, the negative power will cause the function to decrease rapidly as the input increases, resulting in a steeper curve on the graph.