Why is resistor power maximum in parallel with same value?

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of maximizing power through a resistor in a parallel circuit with two resistors (X and Y). The solution to achieve this is by choosing the same resistance for both X and Y. This conclusion was reached by using the formulas P = I^2 * R and P = V^2*R, and by applying the maximum power transfer theorem. The conversation also touched on the possibility of using a current source instead, but it was determined that the solution remains the same.
Tuppe
Hello, I want to ask the explanation for this basic problem.

So I have 2 resistors in parallel(X and Y) and I want to maximize the power going through the resistor X, by choosing the resistance.

This can be achieved only by choosing the same resistance for X, than Y has.
Why is this so? I can prove this resoult with numerical values, but I cannot derive the general solution.

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Resistors can only dissipate power in form of heat. So P = I^2 * R or P = V^2*R. So I don't understand your problem.
So please show numerical example.

Write P=R I^2 for R as two resistors in parallel and solve for Rx to see that it equals Ry.

P=E^2 R^-1

Thanks for quick answers!

I've tried the problem using the basic formulas of P = I^2 * R and P = V^2*R, but I only end up with a mess.

I cannot see where the maximum power comes in. I'd think that you need to derivate the solution to get the maximum.

Doug Huffman said:
Write P=R I^2 for R as two resistors in parallel and solve for Rx to see that it equals Ry.

I will end up with:
Rx=(-PRy/(P-RyI^2)), where the I is the combined current and P is combined power going through the equivalent resistor. I don't see how can I continue with that.

And I still cannot see how that is indeed the maximum value and not just something else.

Your statement as written does not lead to the conclusion you state. If there are, as stated in the problem as you expressed it, no constraints other than that you want to maximize the power dissipated in one of two parallel resistors, given a fixed applied voltage, then you simply make the value of that resistor as close to zero as you can and you will get more and more power dissipation in that resistor as you lower its value. I assume there is some other constraint that you have left out.

phinds said:
Your statement as written does not lead to the conclusion you state. If there are, as stated in the problem as you expressed it, no constraints other than that you want to maximize the power dissipated in one of two parallel resistors, given a fixed applied voltage, then you simply make the value of that resistor as close to zero as you can and you will get more and more power dissipation in that resistor as you lower its value. I assume there is some other constraint that you have left out.
Yes, exactly. I think that OP made a mistake, and in reality he wants to find the max power in this circuit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximu...mizing_power_transfer_versus_power_efficiency

Jony130 said:
Yes, exactly. I think that OP made a mistake, and in reality he wants to find the max power in this circuit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximu...mizing_power_transfer_versus_power_efficiency
Yes, exactly thank you!

I was using current source instead, so I had the resistors in parallel in equivalent circuit. I'd think that there's a solution in that configuration too, but this is fine for me.

If you have a current source feeding two parallel resistors then, choosing an infinite value for one of the resistors will mean that I2R power will be dissipated in the remaining resistor. This the a maximum. If the two resistors are Equal in value, the total Power dissipated will be I2R/2 and the power dissipated in one of them will be I2R/4. Etc. Etc.

Related to Why is resistor power maximum in parallel with same value?

1. Why is the power dissipated by a resistor maximum when connected in parallel with another resistor of the same value?

When two resistors are connected in parallel, the voltage across each resistor is the same. This means that the current through each resistor is inversely proportional to their respective resistances. Since the resistors are of the same value, the current through each resistor will also be the same. According to the power formula (P=I²R), when the current is the same, the power dissipated by each resistor will be the same. Therefore, when connected in parallel, the total power dissipated by the resistors will be twice the power dissipated by a single resistor, making it maximum.

2. Can the power dissipated by a resistor be greater than the maximum value when connected in parallel with another resistor of the same value?

No, the maximum power dissipated by a resistor is when it is connected in parallel with another resistor of the same value. This is because the voltage across each resistor is the same, and the total current through the resistors is divided equally. Any other configuration, such as series or parallel with different values, will result in a lower power dissipation.

3. Does the power dissipation of a resistor change when connected in parallel with another resistor of the same value?

Yes, the power dissipation of a resistor changes when connected in parallel with another resistor of the same value. As mentioned earlier, the total power dissipated by the resistors will be twice the power dissipated by a single resistor when connected in parallel. This is because the current through each resistor increases, resulting in a higher power dissipation.

4. Is the power dissipation of a resistor always maximum when connected in parallel with another resistor of the same value?

Yes, the power dissipation of a resistor is always maximum when connected in parallel with another resistor of the same value. This is a fundamental property of parallel circuits and is based on the principles of voltage and current division.

5. Can connecting resistors in parallel with different values result in a higher power dissipation?

No, connecting resistors in parallel with different values will not result in a higher power dissipation. In fact, the power dissipation will decrease compared to when the resistors are connected in parallel with the same value. This is because the voltage and current across each resistor will be different, resulting in a lower total power dissipation.