Why is Rb one of the only things that a BEC can be made from?

• Thread starter asen7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bec
In summary, scientists have recently been able to create bose-einstein condensates using mostly alkali metals. This is because atoms with a single valence electron have a simpler energy level scheme, making them easier to manipulate with lasers for slowing and trapping. In the past, rubidium was a popular choice due to its wavelength matching with available diode lasers, but the current state of the art may have changed. Other atoms, such as copper or gold, are not as easily controllable using this method.
asen7
I was wondering I have heard scientists recently made bose-einstein condensates from mostly alkali metals.

My question is why? Why can't copper, gold or something else work?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has been a while since I worked in the laser cooling field. My recollection is that atoms with a single valence electron have a simple energy level scheme that is more conducive to using lasers for controlling their motion (i.e. slowing and trapping the atoms). So basically, hydrogen and the alkali metals.

Rubidium was a good choice in the late 1980's and early 1990's because the transition at 780 nm coincided with diode lasers that were readily available. Not sure what the current state of the art is regarding other alkalis' wavelengths and the easy availability of lasers today.

Related to Why is Rb one of the only things that a BEC can be made from?

What is a BEC (Bose-Einstein Condensate)?

A BEC is a state of matter that occurs at very low temperatures, where a large number of particles (usually atoms) come together and behave as a single entity, exhibiting quantum behavior.

Why is Rb (rubidium) commonly used to make BECs?

Rb is commonly used to make BECs because it is a highly reactive metal that has a low melting point and can be easily cooled to the temperatures required for BEC formation. Additionally, it has a simple atomic structure, making it easier to manipulate and observe in experiments.

What makes Rb unique in terms of BEC formation?

Rb has a property known as a "Feshbach resonance," which allows for the manipulation of the interactions between atoms, making it easier to create a BEC. This property makes Rb one of the only elements that can be used to create BECs.

Are there any other elements that can be used to create BECs?

Yes, other elements such as sodium, lithium, and cesium have also been used to make BECs. However, Rb is one of the most commonly used elements due to its unique properties and ease of manipulation.

What are the potential applications of BECs made from Rb?

BECs made from Rb have potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, precision measurements, and as a tool for studying fundamental physics. They can also be used to create atom lasers, which have potential applications in interferometry and sensing.