Why is Quantum Physics so Strange?

In summary, quantum physics is considered strange because it defies our traditional understanding of the physical world. It operates on a subatomic level, where particles can exist in multiple states at the same time and can be connected over vast distances. It also introduces the concept of uncertainty, where the behavior of particles cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy. These and other principles of quantum physics challenge our perception of reality and continue to perplex scientists and philosophers alike.
rootone said:
the reason why quantum physics is strange is because it is about probability

I think an Actuary might dispute that.

Really strange is a rather personal thing - what is strange to some person is obvious to another. You won't get anywhere with questions like why is QM so strange because it degenerates into opinions on what's strange - not facts.

It is as it is. I have read things like the following:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

To me that view makes it actually rather ho hum rather than strange. But that's me - others will likely disagree which is why this type of discussion won't actually get anywhere.

Thanks
Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah Bill, but a lot of people don't like the idea of being a statistical casualty,
anyway thanks for that link.
less than 0% chance of snow tomorrow is interesting, probably true,but you never know

Last edited:
Hmm, denying the physics community "dirty little secret" is, I hope, over. If reality is, at best, tentative in the atomic realm, how does that translate into the macro world? Am I living in a pseudo existence? Big things should be made of smaller things and so on down the line. Are we looking through rose colored glasses and seeing our own mind's perception of reality which may not even exist?

ChrisisC said:
I want to be a quantum physicist as a career because i absolutely love the mystery behind certain principles in quantum physics. Especially things like the quantum eraser experiment. I am wondering if there is a reason that quantum mechanics has very weird principles that seem to defy logic, like quantum tunneling.
Rest assured QM is weird, gravity is weird, some of the writers in this thread are weird. Don't be swayed by the jaded who like to proclaim that their knowledge eliminates weirdness. Reality provides unending fascination and physics is the most fundamental line of inquiry, go for it. If you're ever strapped for $ at worst there will always be war work or Wall Street. If the incoming administration sticks around just start an article with "QM proves there is no global warming ... climate is in a state of superposition, simultaneously too hot and too cold; be careful not to observe it otherwise the climate will collapse in Denmark", instant funding.

Likes Stavros Kiri and dkotschessaa
This topic has been discussed enough. Thread closed.

Likes Stavros Kiri, vanhees71 and dextercioby