Why is probability defined in space rather than at a point in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of probability in quantum mechanics and how it is defined in terms of space rather than a point. It is mentioned that probability can only be given for a volume, not for a point. The possibility of electron being a point object is also briefly touched upon, with the speaker mentioning that it is possible but not confirmed. The conversation also mentions that real valued wavefunction graphs are rare and that probability cannot be determined without knowing the complex part. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities of probability in quantum mechanics and the limitations of studying it at a point.
Naman Jain Kota
I have started quantum mechanics on my own using online lectures. So i have very basic doubts:

1) probability of electron is defined in space rather than a point. My question is why don't we comment about probability at a point.
I thought two possible explanation that:
1.1)ψ2dx the dx term goes zero so probablity at point is zero
1.2)electron is itself not a point object(which i don't know is true or not) 2)if we are given real valued wavefunction graphs can we can we comment on probablity density without knowing the complex part.(i hope not)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Naman, :welcome:

1) probability density is defined. As you indicate, probability itself can only be given for a volume, not for a point.

2) no we can not. But 'real valued wavefunction graphs' are rare: most of the time we get presented amplitude graphs.

Likes bhobba and Naman Jain Kota
Ok, so can we say probablity at a point is zero always.
And is electron point object??
BvU said:
Hello Naman, :welcome:

1) probability density is defined. As you indicate, probability itself can only be given for a volume, not for a point.

2) no we can not. But 'real valued wavefunction graphs' are rare: most of the time we get presented amplitude graphs.

For all we know it is, yes. http://gabrielse.physics.harvard.edu/gabrielse/overviews/ElectronSubstructure/ElectronSubstructure.html are of the order of ##10^{-20}## m. Just try to imagine the charge density :smile: !

Likes bhobba

Related to Why is probability defined in space rather than at a point in quantum mechanics?

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating impossibility and 1 indicating certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the probability formula: P(event) = Number of favorable outcomes / Total number of possible outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual observations and can vary from the theoretical probability.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events where the occurrence of one event does not affect the probability of the other event happening. Dependent events are events where the probability of one event occurring is dependent on the occurrence of another event.

5. How can probability be applied in real life?

Probability is used in various fields such as statistics, finance, and science to make predictions and informed decisions. For example, it can be used to determine the likelihood of a medical treatment being successful or the chances of winning a game of chance.