Why is pH a negative logarithm?

In summary, logarithms are commonly used in pH scales to measure the concentration of a substance, specifically hydronium ions. The negative logarithm is used to ensure that the pH is positive, and this is because the concentration of hydrogen ions is always less than 1. This makes it more convenient for most numbers to be between 0 and 14. However, there are cases where the pH can be negative, and this is not a mathematical necessity but rather a convention for convenience. The pH scale can be adjusted by using different bases or adding a constant, but it does not change the underlying chemistry.
opus
Gold Member
I'm going over applications of logarithms in my College Algebra class and I'm at a part where it talks about pH scales, and it shows the pH concentration of a substance to be the negative logarithm of hydronium ions.
I want to know why the logarithm is negative, so I googled it and the answers all require Chemistry knowledge (obviously). Most answers that I've seen mention having water in the concentration as well and that has something to do with it.

Considering I don't have the Chemistry knowledge (and why I put this thread here instead of the Chemistry forum), is there a way to understand why we are taking the negative logarithm the measure the quantity of a substance?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Actually I think I got it. After plugging some random numbers in, it seems the purpose is the have the pH be positive at the end, although I'm not sure why.
What was tripping me up was the fact that the hydrogen ions were always less than 1, but I suppose that's because it's the concentration of them, not how many there actually are. And since this number will have a negative exponent added to a number between 1 and 9, the result will be negative, which then gets negated again to be positive. Is this the case?

It is just more convenient as most numbers are between 0 and 14. You save a sign most of the time.
There are acids strong enough to create a negative pH. There is nothing special about 1mole/l, as both mole and liters are arbitrary units. Water has about 55 mole per liter, once you have more than 0.02 H3O+ molecule per water molecule the pH gets negative. From a modern point of view the fraction of molecules which are H3O+ would be a more natural choice.

Likes opus
Ok great thank you. So it's not really a mathematical necessity. It's just something that is done for convenience?

You could replace the pH with its negative everywhere without consequences as long as you keep it consistent. You can also add a constant to it. You can also use base e, 2 or whatever you want. This scales the values but it still doesn’t change chemistry.

Likes opus
Understood! Thank you.

Related to Why is pH a negative logarithm?

What is pH and why is it important?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important because it indicates the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution, which is a crucial factor in many chemical and biological processes.

Why is pH a negative logarithm?

pH is a negative logarithm because it is based on the logarithmic scale of concentrations. This means that a change in one unit of pH represents a tenfold change in the concentration of hydrogen ions.

How is pH calculated?

pH is calculated using the formula: pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter. This formula is based on the negative logarithmic relationship between pH and concentration.

What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a numerical scale that ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Solutions with a pH below 7 are acidic, while solutions with a pH above 7 are basic. The lower the pH, the more acidic the solution is, and the higher the pH, the more basic the solution is.

Why is it important to maintain a balanced pH in the body?

The body has strict pH requirements for proper functioning of its various systems and processes. A balanced pH is important for maintaining the right level of acidity or basicity in the blood, which affects the functioning of enzymes and other biological processes. Imbalances in pH can lead to health issues and even be life-threatening.