Why is My Video Game Using Too Much Memory?

• Thread starter dacruick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, the person is seeking help with their video game running slowly due to high RAM usage. They have checked their video card driver, run a virus scan, and reinstalled the program, but are still experiencing issues. They are unsure of the cause and would appreciate any assistance.
dacruick
Hello,

I really need some help here. I am running a video game on my computer which I have been playing for quite some time. Just last night I started getting what I thought was lag. Then I realized that the program was running at 220 K when it usually runs at 80 - 90. This was making the game virtually unplayable for me.

I've checked that my video card driver is updated
I've run a virus scan
I've reinstalled the program

I don't know what the issue could be.

Any help would be much appreciated

cheers,

dacruick

Computer science news on Phys.org
A program using 220K of RAM is bogging down your computer? What game is this, and how old is your computer?

Many video games use more memory the further into the game you get because levels get bigger and objects more plentiful.

XMS, EMS memory

shank

Hi dacruickshank,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your memory usage issue. It sounds like you have already taken some important steps in troubleshooting the problem, such as updating your video card driver and running a virus scan. However, there are a few more things you can try to help reduce the memory usage of your game.

First, check to see if there are any unnecessary programs running in the background while you are playing the game. These programs can use up valuable memory and may be contributing to the increased usage. You can use the Task Manager on Windows or the Activity Monitor on Mac to see what programs are running and close any that are not needed.

You can also try adjusting the graphics settings in the game to see if that helps reduce the memory usage. Lowering the resolution or turning off certain graphics features can help decrease the amount of memory needed to run the game.

If these steps do not help, it may be worth checking for any updates or patches for the game itself. Sometimes game developers release updates to fix bugs or optimize performance, which could help with your memory usage issue.

If none of these solutions work, it may be helpful to reach out to the game's technical support team for further assistance. They may have specific troubleshooting steps or advice for your particular game and system setup.

I hope this helps and you are able to get your game running smoothly again. Good luck!

Best,

Related to Why is My Video Game Using Too Much Memory?

What causes excessive memory usage on a computer?

There are several factors that can contribute to excessive memory usage on a computer. Some common causes include running too many programs at once, using memory-intensive applications, and having too many browser tabs open.

How can I check my computer's memory usage?

On a Windows computer, you can check your memory usage by opening the Task Manager and clicking on the "Performance" tab. On a Mac, you can check memory usage by opening the Activity Monitor and clicking on the "Memory" tab.

What can I do to reduce memory usage on my computer?

To reduce memory usage, you can close any unnecessary programs or browser tabs, limit the number of applications running in the background, and uninstall any unused software. It may also help to increase your computer's RAM capacity.

Why does my computer slow down when memory usage is high?

When memory usage is high, your computer may start using virtual memory, which is much slower than physical RAM. This can cause your computer to slow down as it struggles to keep up with the demands of running multiple programs.

What should I do if my computer consistently has high memory usage?

If your computer consistently has high memory usage, it may be a sign of a larger issue such as a virus or malware. It is recommended to run a virus scan and also check for any memory leaks in your programs. If the issue persists, it may be time to upgrade your hardware or seek professional help.