Why Is My Trebuchet's Initial Velocity So High?

In summary, the speaker built a trebuchet for high school and is having trouble calculating the initial velocity using the equation mgh = 1/2 mv^2. They used a 60 pound counter weight and a tennis ball, and the counter weight drops 1.3 m when launched. The suggested equation to use is 1.3*9.8 = 1/2 mv^2, which yields an initial velocity of SQRT(2*1.3*9.8). The speaker is in need of help as the project is due tomorrow.
skylarr
ok i had to build a trebuchet for high school and i can't seem to get a decent value for the initial velocity please help. i used a 60 pound counter weight (27.2 kg) a tennis ball to launch (.057 kg) and the counter weight drops about 1.3 m when it is launched i used the equation mgh = 1/2 mv ^2, but i got 110 m/s pleas help this is due tommmorow.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I have no idea how you got 110. Anyway this model is very simplistic but still correct. Remember that the counterweight does not matter with your set of equations. Anyway the answer (according to your assumptions) should yield::smile:
therefore: 1.3*9.8=.5*v^2
therefore: v=SQRT(2*1.3*9.8)

I would advise you to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units for all the variables. It is also important to consider any factors that may affect the initial velocity, such as air resistance or the angle at which the projectile is launched. You may also want to consult resources or seek help from your teacher or classmates to troubleshoot any discrepancies in your results. Remember to always be thorough and precise in your calculations to ensure accurate results. Good luck with your project!

Related to Why Is My Trebuchet's Initial Velocity So High?

1. What is trebuchet initial velocity?

Trebuchet initial velocity is the speed at which a trebuchet's projectile is launched from the sling. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

2. How is trebuchet initial velocity determined?

Trebuchet initial velocity is determined by a combination of factors, including the weight of the projectile, the length of the sling, and the angle of the trebuchet's arm. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account these variables.

3. What is the ideal initial velocity for a trebuchet?

The ideal initial velocity for a trebuchet depends on the desired distance and accuracy of the projectile. Generally, a higher initial velocity will result in a longer distance traveled, but too high of a velocity can also decrease accuracy.

4. Can trebuchet initial velocity be increased?

Yes, trebuchet initial velocity can be increased by adjusting the weight of the projectile, the length of the sling, and the angle of the trebuchet's arm. However, there are limits to how much the velocity can be increased before it starts to affect the accuracy of the trebuchet's launch.

5. How does trebuchet initial velocity compare to other types of projectile launchers?

Trebuchet initial velocity is generally lower than other types of projectile launchers, such as catapults or cannons. However, trebuchets are known for their superior accuracy and range, making them a popular choice for medieval warfare.