Why Is My Resistive Bridge Calculation Resulting in Different Voltages?

In summary, the conversation was discussing the application of the bridge formula for a circuit with resistors. The equation for V_{o} was shown, and the attempt at a solution was described with a file attached. The discrepancy between the expected answer of 6V and the actual answer of 1.5V was also mentioned. It was then clarified that the equation should be modified to include V_s as a factor, making it impossible to have V_o = 6V in a passive circuit.
Altairs

Homework Statement

I was trying to apply the formula of bridge

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{o} = (\frac{1}{1+R4/R2})-(\frac{1}{1+R3/R1})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

File is attached...Small numbers with resistor names are their values in ohms...
the answer I get is 6v...Here it is 1.5 v...

Attachments

• question.JPG
    question.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 353
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Altairs said:

Homework Statement

I was trying to apply the formula of bridge

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{o} = (\frac{1}{1+R4/R2})-(\frac{1}{1+R3/R1})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

File is attached...Small numbers with resistor names are their values in ohms...
the answer I get is 6v...Here it is 1.5 v...

The equation should be:
[tex]V_{o} = [(\frac{1}{1+R4/R3})-(\frac{1}{1+R2/R1})]V_s[/tex]
With[tex]V_s = 3V[/tex] you could never have [tex]V_o = 6V[/tex] with a totally passive circuit.

I would first commend the student for attempting to apply the formula of a resistive bridge and providing the relevant information, such as the values of the resistors. However, I would also suggest that they double-check their calculations and make sure they are using the correct formula for the given resistive bridge. It is possible that the incorrect answer is due to a mistake in the calculation or an error in using the formula. I would also suggest trying the calculation using a different method or formula to confirm the result. Additionally, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or peer to review the solution and identify any potential errors. Overall, it is important to carefully check and verify any calculations in scientific work to ensure accuracy.

Related to Why Is My Resistive Bridge Calculation Resulting in Different Voltages?

1. What is a resistive bridge?

A resistive bridge is a type of electronic circuit that uses resistors to measure an unknown resistance value. It is commonly used in strain gauges and temperature sensors.

2. Why is it important to solve urgent resistive bridge homework?

Solving urgent resistive bridge homework helps students understand the principles of electrical circuits and gain practical experience in designing and analyzing circuits. It also prepares them for real-world applications in engineering and technology.

3. What is the process for solving a resistive bridge homework problem?

The first step is to draw a schematic diagram of the circuit. Then, use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to analyze the circuit and determine the unknown resistance value. Finally, check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given data.

4. Can you provide an example of a resistive bridge homework solution?

Sure, here is a simple example: A resistive bridge circuit consists of a 10Ω resistor, a 20Ω resistor, and an unknown resistor. The voltage across the unknown resistor and the voltage across the 20Ω resistor are 5V and 10V, respectively. Determine the value of the unknown resistor.

Using Kirchhoff's laws, we can set up the following equations: 5V = I1(10Ω) and 10V = I2(20Ω). Since the current is the same throughout the circuit, we can set I1 = I2. Solving for I1, we get I1 = 0.5A. Plugging this into the first equation, we get 5V = 0.5A(10Ω), so the unknown resistor has a value of 10Ω.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a resistive bridge homework problem?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to account for the voltage drop across the known resistors, using incorrect units or values, and not properly applying Kirchhoff's laws. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given data.