Why is my mesh analysis incorrect?

In summary, the speaker is seeking confirmation on their understanding of why their mesh analysis may be incorrect due to a voltage drop across a current source. They also mention attempting to solve for i1 and comparing it to the value determined by the 2mA current source. Another person in the conversation suggests that the two current sources may determine the mesh currents for their respective loops, making equations unnecessary for those currents. They advise focusing on the second loop instead of trying to solve for i1.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

EDIT: I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT, JUST NEED SOMEONE TO CONFIRM. I think the reason why my mesh analysis is wrong is because there is a voltage drop across the current source. Am I right?

Here is the problem along with my attempt

Find Io using mesh analysis:
ssfsB.jpg

Alright so if you look at my second last and last line, i solved for i1 again to verify that my mesh was correct. However as you can see my i1 came out to be 10mA which is not the same as the i1 value that can be found by relating i1 to the 2mA current source (which is -2mA as you can see in the first line). Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I am using the method that my professor went over in class where if you have a resistor for example in the second last line, you take the resistor and multiply it to the current difference between i3 and i1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello TheBEAST, there are two current sources both of which are not shared between meshes, so in fact they predetermine the mesh currents for their loops. That means you begin with two out of three of the currents solved, and no need to write equations for them. For example, there's no point in trying to solve for i1 if the 2mA source has it fixed at -2mA.

So concentrate on the second loop.

Related to Why is my mesh analysis incorrect?

1. What is circuit mesh analysis?

Circuit mesh analysis is a method used to analyze electric circuits using Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) and Kirchhoff's current law (KCL). It involves dividing the circuit into smaller mesh loops and applying the laws to determine the currents and voltages in each loop.

2. How is circuit mesh analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Circuit mesh analysis is different from other methods, such as nodal analysis, because it focuses on loop currents rather than node voltages. This can be advantageous for certain circuit configurations, as it reduces the number of equations needed to solve the circuit.

3. What are the steps involved in circuit mesh analysis?

The steps involved in circuit mesh analysis include identifying the mesh currents, applying KVL and KCL to each mesh, writing equations for the mesh currents, and solving the resulting system of equations to determine the currents and voltages in the circuit.

4. Can circuit mesh analysis be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, circuit mesh analysis can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, additional calculations may be required to account for the effects of frequency and impedance.

5. What are some common challenges faced when using circuit mesh analysis?

Some common challenges in circuit mesh analysis include identifying the correct mesh currents, correctly applying KVL and KCL, and dealing with non-linear elements in the circuit. It is also important to choose a consistent direction for the mesh currents and properly label the currents and voltages in the circuit diagram.