Why is my internet activity acting weird?

In summary, the speaker is experiencing unwanted internet activity on their computer, indicated by the router's activity light blinking. This occurs at irregular intervals and causes their internet connection to stop working. They have tried unplugging the internet cable and restarting their Network Card, but the issue persists. A virus scan and spyware check have found nothing, and they do not believe it is a problem with their network card because the connection works fine on a different operating system. They are seeking advice and have been suggested to try a software firewall and use the "netstat" command to check for any relevant activity.
ranger
Gold Member
Sometimes it seems that my computer generates unwanted internet activity. I know this becuase I can see the activity light on my router blinking. This happens at irregular intervals. And when it happens, my internet connection stops working. I would either have to unplug my internet cable or remove and insert my Network Card (I have a laptop so I just use the "eject hardware" icon for this) to get my connection working again. Then my connection would be good for sometime then the same thing keeps occurring. Sometimes in the middle of a download, my connection would fail causing me to restart my download.

I ran a virus scan and spyware checker, but it found nothing. I don't think its a problem with my network card because my laptop has two operating systems (Winxp and fedora). The connection works just fine under fedora.

Please Help :cry:

--thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could try a software firewall - it'll tell you exactly what is using the connection. Also, bring up a command prompt and type "netstat".

WHen I try netstat, I see nothing relevant. I'm yet to try a firewall. I never had one because I'm thinking my router is enough.

Related to Why is my internet activity acting weird?

What is considered "weird internet activity"?

"Weird internet activity" can refer to any unusual or abnormal behavior observed on the internet. This can include strange or suspicious online interactions, unusual browsing patterns, or unexpected changes in internet traffic.

What are some common causes of weird internet activity?

Weird internet activity can be caused by a variety of factors, such as viruses or malware, technical glitches, or human error. It can also be the result of intentional actions, such as hacking or cyber attacks.

How can weird internet activity be harmful?

Weird internet activity can be harmful in a number of ways. It can compromise the security of personal information, disrupt normal internet usage, and even lead to financial loss. It can also be a red flag for potential cyber threats.

What should I do if I notice weird internet activity?

If you notice unusual or suspicious internet activity, it is important to report it to the proper authorities, such as your internet service provider or law enforcement. You should also take steps to protect your personal information and secure your devices.

How can I prevent weird internet activity?

To prevent weird internet activity, it is important to practice safe online habits, such as using strong passwords, avoiding suspicious links and downloads, and regularly updating your security software. It is also important to be cautious when sharing personal information online.