Why is my homemade alkaline water not reaching the expected pH level?

• Thread starter barryj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: When baking soda reacts with water, it forms a carbonic acid molecule and a hydrogen gas. The carbonic acid molecule is a weak acid and the hydrogen gas is a strong acid. This is why the pH of the solution changes.
barryj
I am trying to make my own alkaline water using baking soda and distilled water.
First I measure out 0.018 moles of baking soda as follows
(0.25 tsp)(1ml/.202 tst)(1.2 grams NaHCO3/ml)(1 mole NHCO3/1 gram NaHCO3) = .018 moles NaHCo3
I measure out 0.236 liters of distilled water i.e. 1 cup.
The molarity of the NaHCO3 is not M= 0.018 moles NaHCO3/0.236 liters of water = 0.076
The pOH of the solution is –log(0.076) = 1.12 thefore the pH is 14 – 1.12 = 12.88.
Note: the molarity of [OH] should be the same as the molarity of NaHCO3.
However, when I put ¼ tsp baking soda into as cup of distilled water the pH measures only 8.0.
What is wrong here? Is the baking soda not disassociating?

Attachments

• ph.jpg
    ph.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 505
Chemistry news on Phys.org
pOH, negative log of the hydroxide (molarity) concentration.
pH, negative log of the hydronium (molarity) concentration.
(Really, should be "activity" instead of "molarity").

pH of 8, as you measured, IS ALKALINE.

First, always start with a balanced chemical equation.

Second,
barryj said:
Note: the molarity of [OH] should be the same as the molarity of NaHCO3.
This is incorrect. You have to consider the equilibrium constant of the reaction between bicarbonate and water.

Symbolipoint: Yes 8 is alkaline but I expected around 12 not 8.

Yqqqdrasil: I would have expected the equilibrium constant to be basically one way since NaHCO3 is ionic,
Getting a pH of only 8 seems weird. I will check this however.

barryj said:
Yqqqdrasil: I would have expected the equilibrium constant to be basically one way since NaHCO3 is ionic,

Again, write out the relevant chemical equation. Dissociation of Na+ from HCO3- is not what produces OH-.

NaHCO3 -> Na + HCO3
HCO3 -> OH + CO2
but it must be in water? so NaHCO3 + H2O -> Na + OH + CO2 + H2O
Yes/No? This is more complicated that I first thought

Also, I read that Kb = 2.08E-4. So only a small amount of the NaHCO3 will dissociate, yes?

I now read that if I heat the baking soda to 400F for one hour, it will convert to Na2CO3 and this will dissociate and my equation will work. Yes?

I calculated the pH to be 12 based on the erroneous fact that the NaHCO3 would totally dissociate which it doesn't.

Likes symbolipoint
I am afraid you are misunderstanding why the pH of the solution changes. NaHCO3 is fully dissociated into Na+ and HCO3-, of these only HCO3- is responsible for pH changes - partially because it dissociates further, partially because it hydrolyzes.

Likes symbolipoint
Then the HCO3 disassociates into OH and CO2 and then I have the OH I need.

No, HCO3- doesn't dissociate the way you wrote. When it dissociates it produces H+ and CO32-, so if anything it lowers the pH during the dissociation, not makes it rise.

Please read on Bronsted-Lowry theory of acids and bases.

Here is what I did. I baked some NaHCO3 at 450F for one hour. I read this will turn the NaHCO3 into Na2CO3. I put this, 1/4 tsp like I described in my original post, and the pH went up from around 7 to 10.5. It was not a real carefully controlled experiment, in my kitchen, but the pH did rise and the taste of the Na2CO3 was more bitter than the original NaHCO3. Not sure of the process here but it seems like the heat drove out the H. Now when Na2CO3 is in water it produces NAOH and carbonic acid? the Na OH is a strong alkine and the caerbonic a weak acid? Na2CO3 + H2O -> Na + OH + H CO3

barryj said:
Symbolipoint: Yes 8 is alkaline but I expected around 12 not 8.

No, sodium bicarb is not that basic in solution, it is a weak base.

Likes symbolipoint

Related to Why is my homemade alkaline water not reaching the expected pH level?

1. Why is my alkaline water not reaching the desired pH level?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the water you are using is already too acidic or too alkaline, making it difficult to change the pH significantly. Another possibility is that your water ionizer machine is not functioning properly or needs to be recalibrated. Lastly, the mineral content of your water can also affect the pH, so using distilled water or a reverse osmosis system may be necessary.

2. Can I use any type of water to make alkaline water?

Technically, you can use any type of water to make alkaline water, but some types may be more effective than others. For example, tap water may already contain minerals that contribute to the pH level, while distilled or reverse osmosis water may be too pure and lack the necessary minerals. It is best to use filtered or spring water with a balanced mineral content for optimal results.

3. Is it safe to drink alkaline water?

Yes, it is generally safe to drink alkaline water in moderation. However, it is important to note that excessive consumption of highly alkaline water (pH above 9) may disrupt the body's natural pH balance and cause health issues. It is recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your water consumption.

4. How often should I drink alkaline water?

There is no specific guideline for how often one should drink alkaline water. It ultimately depends on individual needs and preferences. Some people may choose to drink it daily, while others may only drink it occasionally. It is important to listen to your body and adjust your intake accordingly.

5. Can I make alkaline water without a water ionizer?

Yes, there are other ways to make alkaline water without using a water ionizer. Some options include adding baking soda or lemon juice to your water, using pH drops or alkaline water packets, or using a water filter specifically designed to raise the pH level. However, the effectiveness and safety of these methods may vary, so it is recommended to do thorough research and consult with a professional before trying them.

Back