Why Is My Damped Oscillator Experiment So Challenging?

In summary, the speaker is frustrated with an assignment involving a damped oscillator experiment and is seeking help with determining the constants for a second order differential equation. They provide a link to the values used in the experiment and apologize for posting in the wrong section. They suggest searching for information on damped harmonic motion or oscillator on Wikipedia.
Darkplayer01
Hello guys!

I'm REALLY and i mean REALLY frustrated due to the fact that i just can't solve this stupid assignment!

I did a experiment at school with a weight attached to a spring. The weight was then set to do some swings where it sink into some water, a so called damped oscillator. I know have some values for time (s) and the force (N). So i plotted my values and got a sinus graph.

and now the s****y part..

how can i compare this with a second order differential equation and determine the constants? When i plot the values and get a sinus graph i can't even get excel to give me a function.

This is my final assignment before getting graduated from senior high school (teh schoolsystem is a bit different here in DK)

btw here is a link with values: http://www.2shared.com/file/9887389/4cc70714/Values.html

Just found out that i have posted this in the wrong section, could moderator be so kind and move this to the correct section? And i do apologies for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could do a Google search on Damped Harmonic Motion or Damped Harmonic Oscillator. I think you'll find something of value to you on Wikipedia.

I doubt that Excel knows about second order differential equations.

Last edited:

I completely understand your frustration with your final assignment. It can be challenging to solve complex problems, especially when we are under pressure to complete them before graduation. However, it is important to remember that science is all about problem-solving and finding solutions. It may seem difficult now, but with some perseverance and determination, I am sure you can solve this assignment.

Firstly, it is great that you have conducted an experiment and obtained data on a damped oscillator. This is a common phenomenon in physics and understanding it is crucial for many applications. From your description, it seems like you have already made some progress by plotting your values and obtaining a sinus graph. This is a good start, as it shows that you have a clear understanding of the concept.

To compare your data with a second order differential equation, you will need to look at the equation for a damped oscillator. This equation includes constants such as the mass of the weight, the spring constant, and the damping coefficient. By comparing your data with the equation, you can determine the values of these constants.

I recommend consulting with your teacher or a mentor for guidance on how to approach this problem. They can help you understand the equation and how to apply it to your data. You can also try using online resources or textbooks for further assistance.

In terms of using Excel to obtain a function, it may be helpful to use a curve fitting tool. This can help you find the best fit for your data and provide a function that represents your sinus graph. Again, seeking guidance from your teacher or using online resources can be beneficial in this process.

I understand that you may feel overwhelmed and frustrated, but remember that with hard work and determination, you can overcome this challenge. Don't be afraid to ask for help and keep a positive attitude. I wish you the best of luck in completing your final assignment and graduating from senior high school.

Related to Why Is My Damped Oscillator Experiment So Challenging?

1. What is your final assignment about?

My final assignment is about myself. It is an opportunity for me to reflect on my strengths, weaknesses, accomplishments, and goals.

2. What motivated you to choose this topic for your final assignment?

I chose this topic because I believe that self-reflection is an important aspect of personal growth and development. By taking a closer look at myself, I hope to gain a better understanding of who I am and how I can continue to improve.

3. What methods did you use to gather information about yourself?

I used a combination of methods including self-assessment tests, journaling, and feedback from friends and family. I also took some time to reflect on my past experiences and accomplishments.

4. What did you learn about yourself through this assignment?

I learned a lot about my personality, values, and goals. I also discovered some areas where I can improve and set new goals for myself.

5. How will this assignment help you in the future?

This assignment has helped me gain a deeper understanding of myself, which will be valuable in both my personal and professional life. It has also given me the opportunity to set new goals and make a plan for achieving them.