Why Is My Coil Suppressor Circuit Allowing Voltages Above 130V?

• Thread starter wingsofdesire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coil module
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a coil suppressor to restrict any voltage above 130v in a simple VDR RC circuit. The circuit is not working as expected and it is questioned whether this is due to the voltage specification of the resistance and capacitor. It is suggested that the use of a varistor may not be effective in this situation and a reverse biassed power diode may be a better option for protecting the coil being driven by a DC current. The use of a resistor and capacitor in the circuit may also affect the voltage slew rate.
wingsofdesire
I am trying to make a coil suppressor to restrict any voltage above say 130v. It is a simple VDR RC circuit. I am using a resistance of 47ohm, 250v and a capacitor of .1nF 250v a VDR of 130v. But the circuit is not working as expected. Is it because of the voltage spec of resistance and capacitor? Should it not restrict any voltage above 130v. But when am testing it, voltages above 130v are passing through it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
wingsofdesire said:
I am trying to make a coil suppressor to restrict any voltage above say 130v. It is a simple VDR RC circuit. I am using a resistance of 47ohm, 250v and a capacitor of .1nF 250v a VDR of 130v. But the circuit is not working as expected. Is it because of the voltage spec of resistance and capacitor? Should it not restrict any voltage above 130v. But when am testing it, voltages above 130v are passing through it.

What is a VDR? Can you attach a schematic of the circuit?

berkeman said:
What is a VDR? Can you attach a schematic of the circuit?

Am very sorry, its a varistor. I am attaching a schematic. Am using it as a protection device for a type of relay or contactor to save from the over voltage during turn on and turn off. The working voltage is mainly 110v so i wanted to limit the maximum voltage to a maximum of 130v. Basically a RC Varistor type snubber. Is there a necessity of a fuse for that purpose?

Attachments

• vdr.jpg
    vdr.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 675
Your application is still not clear. Is this 110VAC? Can you show the drive circuit and coil also. Also, in what way is it not working as expected?

Your circuit is correct and will protect most switch or relay contacts from arc damage.

The VDR you have specified at 130V is, I suspect, probably not operating. Unlike zener diodes, VDRs are specified not to break down at the specified voltage. It usually takes about 50% more before they breakdown and they then hold at maybe 20% above the specified voltage.

Also, a symmetrical protection diode or VDR rated 130V will probably be rated as 130V RMS, which is 185V peak, then add the 50%. You must study the data sheet carefully when designing with VDRs to identify the tolerances.

A ZnO varistor has a lifetime determined by the number and magnitude of breakdown events. It should not be asked to perform continuously.

An RC snubber as you have shown will handle slightly inductive loads that switch rarely. Maybe if you are switching highly inductive loads you should consider using a Triac with an optoisolator rather than a relay.

Likes 1 person
Baluncore said:
Your circuit is correct and will protect most switch or relay contacts from arc damage.

The VDR you have specified at 130V is, I suspect, probably not operating. Unlike zener diodes, VDRs are specified not to break down at the specified voltage. It usually takes about 50% more before they breakdown and they then hold at maybe 20% above the specified voltage.

Also, a symmetrical protection diode or VDR rated 130V will probably be rated as 130V RMS, which is 185V peak, then add the 50%. You must study the data sheet carefully when designing with VDRs to identify the tolerances.

A ZnO varistor has a lifetime determined by the number and magnitude of breakdown events. It should not be asked to perform continuously.

An RC snubber as you have shown will handle slightly inductive loads that switch rarely. Maybe if you are switching highly inductive loads you should consider using a Triac with an optoisolator rather than a relay.

The Contactor will handle slightly inductive load. But i need to restrict the voltage to a maximum of 120v-130v. This is the reason i used the 130v vdr. But i didnot have the knowledge about the same. I have to use the same vdr rc citcuit for space and drawing constraints but what is the more efficient way to do this? How how much in approximation should i change the VDR rating to get better results. Please help out.

It is a bit difficult trying to help when I do not know what you are trying to do, or why the voltage must be clamped so tightly.

You have referred to a contactor. Is it the contacts of that contactor that you are trying to protect ?
Is the contactor switching AC or DC current ? What is the RMS / DC voltage ?

Baluncore said:
It is a bit difficult trying to help when I do not know what you are trying to do, or why the voltage must be clamped so tightly.

You have referred to a contactor. Is it the contacts of that contactor that you are trying to protect ?
Is the contactor switching AC or DC current ? What is the RMS / DC voltage ?

I am actually trying to protect the coil here. Yes this is basically an electro magnetic contactor, and the working voltage of the coil is 110v. The contactor works in DC voltage. To protect the coil from surge i am using it as a protection device.

If you have a contactor coil being driven by a DC current, then the best protection of the coil and it's driver is to place a reverse biassed power diode in parallel with the coil. No VDR is needed.

The inductive voltage kick when the coil begins to turn off is clamped by the diode which carries the coil current while the magnetic field decays. The diode must be able to handle a surge current equal to the contactor coil current. A resistor and capacitor are not usually needed in that situation, but they will reduce the voltage slew rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

I hope that answers your question.
If not, ask more specific questions and/or attach a circuit diagram of that part of the circuit.
You can enable email notification of replies by using thread tools at the top of the thread.

Related to Why Is My Coil Suppressor Circuit Allowing Voltages Above 130V?

1. What is a coil suppressor module?

A coil suppressor module, also known as a spark suppressor or ignition suppressor, is an electronic device used to reduce or eliminate electrical noise or interference in a circuit caused by the operation of a coil or spark-producing component.

2. How does a coil suppressor module work?

A coil suppressor module typically consists of a capacitor and resistor connected in parallel. The capacitor absorbs the high voltage spikes produced by the coil, while the resistor dissipates the stored energy. This helps to prevent the interference from affecting other components in the circuit.

3. When should a coil suppressor module be used?

A coil suppressor module is typically used in circuits that contain high-voltage components, such as ignition systems in cars, motorcycles, or small engines. It is also commonly used in radio frequency circuits to reduce electromagnetic interference.

4. How do I choose the right coil suppressor module for my circuit?

The right coil suppressor module should match the voltage and current requirements of your circuit. It is important to select a module with a voltage rating higher than the operating voltage of your circuit and a current rating higher than the maximum current of your circuit.

5. Can a coil suppressor module be used in all circuits?

While a coil suppressor module is beneficial in many circuits, it may not be necessary in all cases. It is most commonly used in circuits with high-voltage components or those that produce electromagnetic interference. If your circuit does not fall into these categories, a coil suppressor module may not be needed.