Why Is My Calculation of Silver Isotope Abundance Incorrect?

So X = 43.07% and Y = 56.93%. This should give you the correct percent abundance for the first isotope.
BrianC
% Abundace Calc Error

here's the prob and my work can anyone help me figure out where I'm going wrong? thanks

The element silver has two naturally occurring isotopes with masses of 106.91 amu and 108.90 amu. What would be the percent abundance of the first isotope, if the atomic weight were 108.0429 amu?

108.0429 = 106.91*X + 108.90*Y (and since Y=1-X)
108.0429 = 106.91*X + 108.90 - 108.90*X
108.0429 - 108.90 = 106.91*X + 108.90*X
-(-1.99 = -0.8571*X) = 1.99 = 0.8571*X
X = 0.4307
Y= 0.5693

i did that and the online thing i enter the homework into says it's incorrect :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
little typo in there the third line of my work should be
108.0429 - 108.90 = 106.91*X - 108.90*X

-(-1.99 = -0.8571*X) = 1.99 = 0.8571*X
should be -(-1.99X = -0.8571) = (1.99X = 0.8571)

Try converting your answers to percentage values instead of decimals.

Related to Why Is My Calculation of Silver Isotope Abundance Incorrect?

What is Percent Abundance Calculation Error?

Percent abundance calculation error is the difference between the actual percent abundance of an isotope in a sample and the calculated percent abundance based on experimental data. It is a measure of the accuracy of the data and can be used to assess the precision of the measurement technique.

Why is Percent Abundance Calculation Error important in scientific research?

Percent abundance calculation error is important because it can affect the overall accuracy of experimental results. Inaccurate data can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially impact the validity of a study or experiment. It is also important to identify and minimize errors in order to improve the precision and reliability of future experiments.

How is Percent Abundance Calculation Error calculated?

Percent abundance calculation error is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the actual percent abundance and the calculated percent abundance, divided by the actual percent abundance. This value is then multiplied by 100 to convert it to a percentage.

What are some common sources of error in Percent Abundance Calculation?

Common sources of error in percent abundance calculation include instrumental limitations, sample contamination, and human error. Instrumental limitations can result in inaccurate measurements, while sample contamination can introduce impurities that affect the data. Human error, such as incorrect data entry or calculation, can also contribute to percent abundance calculation error.

How can Percent Abundance Calculation Error be minimized?

To minimize percent abundance calculation error, scientists can use more precise and accurate measurement techniques, thoroughly clean and prepare samples to avoid contamination, and double-check calculations for accuracy. It is also important to repeat experiments multiple times to ensure consistency and identify any potential sources of error.