Why Is My Calculation of a Cone's Angular Momentum Incorrect?

In summary, the question is about finding the angular momentum of a cone with height H and radius R. The mass of the cone is calculated by integrating the mass density within the volume, while the center of mass and rotational inertia use the same mass density and volume limits. The formula for rotational inertia multiplies the volume element by r^2 from the axis. The formula for the volume element for a cone is dV = pi(rx/h)^2. The formula for angular momentum is calculated by dividing the integral of r^2 multiplied by the volume element by the integral of the volume element. The formula for moment of inertia is given as pi(r^5x^2/5h^2) and the mass density is given as pi
dowjonez
I have already got help with figuring this out. But i seem to be getting something wrong so maybe someone can check this over and tell me what I am doing wrong

Q) find the angular momentum of a cone with heigh H and radius R

now i was helped and told

lightgrav said:
Mass of cone is integral of the "mass density" within the volume.
center-of-mass uses the same "mass density" and volume limits,
but multiplying the volume element by its location.
Rotational Inertia is the same mass density and same limits,
but multiplies the volume element by r^2 from the axis.
(the omega is the same for all points on the rigid body.)

Rc = int (x)dv / int dV where (x)dV is the volume element and int dV is the mass density

now dV = pi (rx/h)^2 for a cone

so i did angular momentum = int (r^2)dV / int dV

where int (r^2)dV = pi int of (r^4 x^2 / h^2) dR
= pi (r^5 X^2 / 5 h^2)

and

mass density = pi ( r^3 x^2 / 3 h^2)

so I = 3/5 r^2

but I am getting froma book I = 3/10 m r^2 for a cone

please HELP!

tell me if u can't understand this

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on the information provided, it seems like you have made a mistake in your calculation for the angular momentum of a cone. The correct formula for the angular momentum of a cone is I = 3/10 m r^2, where m is the mass of the cone and r is the radius. It seems like you have used the incorrect formula for the moment of inertia, which is the rotational inertia of a cone. The correct formula for the moment of inertia of a cone is I = 3/5 m r^2. This means that your calculation for the angular momentum should be I = 3/10 m r^2, which matches with the book's answer. I hope this helps clarify any confusion and helps you to correctly solve for the angular momentum of a cone.

Related to Why Is My Calculation of a Cone's Angular Momentum Incorrect?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that refers to the amount of rotational motion an object has around a fixed point. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object as well as the distance from the point of rotation.

2. Why is angular momentum important?

Angular momentum is important because it is a conserved quantity in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This makes it a useful tool in analyzing and predicting the behavior of spinning objects and systems.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. Alternatively, it can also be written as L = mvr, where m is the mass, v is the tangential velocity, and r is the distance from the point of rotation.

4. How does angular momentum relate to rotational motion?

Angular momentum is directly related to rotational motion because it describes the rotational inertia of an object or system. Just as linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and linear velocity, angular momentum is the product of an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

5. Can angular momentum be changed?

Angular momentum can only be changed by an external torque acting on the system. In a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. However, in an open system, such as a spinning top or gyroscope, external forces can change the direction and magnitude of the angular momentum.