Why Is My Calculated Velocity at the Swing's Apex Incorrect?

In summary, the question asks for the speed of a ball at the lowest and highest points in its swing, given the length of the string and the distance to the fixed peg. Using conservation of energy, the speed at the lowest point is found to be 4.71 m/s. For the highest point, a mistake was made using the potential energy at the top instead of from the pivot point, resulting in an incorrect answer. The correct equation is TE=PE+KE, where TE is the total energy, PE is the potential energy, and KE is the kinetic energy. Using the correct equation, the speed at the highest point is found to be 6.86 m/s.
ryho1092

Homework Statement

The string in the Figure is L = 113.0 cm long and the distance d to the fixed peg P is 91.5 cm. When the ball is released from rest in the position shown, it will swing along the dashed arc. How fast will it be going when it reaches the lowest point in its swing?

B-How fast will it be going when it reaches the highest point in its swing?

Homework Equations

Conservation on Energy: TE=PE+KE
KE=1/2 mv^2
PE=mgh or mg(L)---L=length of string

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 4.71 m/s for v for the first part. I got this by using conservation of energy, not moving initally and at the bottom (my reference point) no PE.

I'm stuck on the second part. I found my TE by using the starting point, mgh=PE which is 9.8 m/s^2 * 1.13m * m(mass). This should equal my PEtop + KEtop at the top, so
PEtop = mgh=mg(1.13m-.915m) and KEtop should equal 1/m2v^2. Puting it all together I have the following: TE=PE+KE 9.8m/s^2 * 1.13 m * mass = mass * 9.8 m/s^2 * (1.13-.915)m + 1/2 * mass * v^2. The masses cancle out, and I solve for v= SQRT(2*(9.8*1.13-9.8*1.13-91.5))= 4.23 m/s

But this isn't accepted by capa, what did I do wrong? Thanks in advance

Ryan

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.1 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you meant to put up a picture, but I'm not really sure what's going on in this problem. And it looks like there's only one part?

My bad, thanks. I put the second part and attached a pic. Sorry

I see what I did wrong. I was using the PE at the top not from the pivot point. The EQ for the speed at the top of the pivot is still from TE=PE+KE TE=9.8*1.13*mass PE=9.8*.43*mass the .43 is from 1.14-.915 which gives the radius=.215 r*2=.43 This gives me 6.86 which equals KE=1/2mv^2. Then solve for v and done.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully review your calculations and assumptions to identify any potential errors. In this case, it seems that you may have made a mistake in your calculation for the potential energy at the top of the swing. The correct equation for potential energy at a given height is PE = mgh, where h is the height above the reference point. In this case, the reference point is the bottom of the swing, so the height at the top of the swing would be (L-d), or 113 cm - 91.5 cm = 21.5 cm. This would give a potential energy of PE = mgh = (mass)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.215 m).

Additionally, it seems that you may have made a mistake in your calculation for the kinetic energy at the top of the swing. The correct formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. In this case, the mass and velocity at the top of the swing would be the same as at the bottom, so KE = 1/2 mv^2 = (mass)(1/2)(v^2).

Combining these corrections, the correct equation would be TE = PE + KE = mgh + 1/2 mv^2. Solving for v, we get v = √(2gh) = √(2(9.8 m/s^2)(0.215 m)) = 1.96 m/s.

It is important to carefully double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to ask a classmate or instructor for assistance. Keep up the good work!

Related to Why Is My Calculated Velocity at the Swing's Apex Incorrect?

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The law of conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, when we turn on a light, the electrical energy is transformed into light and heat energy. The energy used to power our cars comes from the chemical energy stored in gasoline. Even the food we eat is a form of energy that our bodies convert into kinetic energy to move and perform daily tasks.

3. Can energy be lost or wasted?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost or wasted. It can only be transformed into different forms. However, in some cases, energy can be dissipated into the environment, making it less usable for our needs.

4. What are some examples of energy conversion?

There are many examples of energy conversion that occur in our daily lives. Some common examples include: the conversion of electrical energy to light energy in a light bulb, the conversion of chemical energy to thermal energy in a campfire, and the conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy in a wind turbine.

5. How does the law of conservation of energy relate to the environment?

The law of conservation of energy is crucial for understanding and protecting the environment. By recognizing that energy cannot be created or destroyed, we can better understand the impacts of human activities on the environment. For example, burning fossil fuels releases large amounts of energy, but also produces harmful byproducts that can negatively affect the environment. By conserving energy and finding alternative, renewable sources, we can reduce these negative impacts and protect the environment for future generations.