Why is my answer for the rotating wedge problem not matching?

In summary: Keep in mind that the centrifugal force will also affect the normal force.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of forces on two blocks on an incline. The block on the incline will have a normal force of mgsin30, while the other block will have a normal force of mg. The normal force may also be affected by the centrifugal force. The correct equations for these forces are discussed.
Prabs3257
Homework Statement
A wedge is fixed on a moving Square Plate with angular velocity w = √(g/l) and side of the plate is l then the coefficient of friction between the block and the wedge such that there is no relative motion ?? assuming that side of plate is very large as compared to width and height of the wedge
Relevant Equations
Fc = mv^2/r
I tried making the fbd of both blocks the block on the incline will have mgsin30 friction force, tension and centrepetal force's cos component similarly second block will have mg tension and friction where normal will be centrepetal force after solving my ans is not matching

Attachments

• 15647749984928646795485040492082.jpg
    15647749984928646795485040492082.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 282
Physics news on Phys.org
Prabs3257 said:
the block on the incline will have mgsin30 friction force,
I assume you mean that will be its normal force, but you are forgetting the rotation.
Please post an fbd for that block.

haruspex said:
I assume you mean that will be its normal force, but you are forgetting the rotation.
Please post an fbd for that block.
for the block on incline i got the quation umg√3/2 + mg/2 = T + mw2l√3/2

and for the other block mg = T + umw2l

by solving these two equation i got the value of u but that's not matching please tell me where i am wrong

Prabs3257 said:
umg√3/2
As I wrote, this is wrong.
What is the equation for the normal force on the block?

haruspex said:
Is the normal not mgcos30 ??

Prabs3257 said:
Is the normal not mgcos30 ??
Ohhhhh i got it centrifugal force will also affect the normal

haruspex said:
Thanks i corrected my mistake and got the correct ans

Prabs3257 said:
Thanks i corrected my mistake and got the correct ans
Well done.

Related to Why is my answer for the rotating wedge problem not matching?

1. Why is my answer for the rotating wedge problem different from the expected value?

There could be several reasons for this discrepancy. One possible explanation is a mistake in the calculations or assumptions made during the problem-solving process. Another possibility is that the initial conditions or parameters given for the problem were incorrect or incomplete. Additionally, there could be errors in the experimental setup or measurements taken. It is important to carefully review all the steps taken to solve the problem and check for any potential sources of error.

2. Could there be external factors affecting the results of the rotating wedge problem?

Yes, there could be external factors that could impact the outcome of the rotating wedge problem. Some examples include friction, air resistance, and external forces acting on the system. These external factors can introduce additional complexities and may need to be accounted for in the calculations to accurately solve the problem.

3. How can I check my solution for the rotating wedge problem?

One way to check your solution is to do a dimensional analysis of the equations used in the problem. This involves checking the units of each term in the equation to ensure they are consistent. Additionally, you can try solving the problem using different methods or approaches to see if you get the same answer. Another option is to use a computer simulation or model to verify your solution.

4. Is there a standard approach for solving the rotating wedge problem?

Yes, there are standardized methods and techniques for solving the rotating wedge problem. These may include using equations of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and free body diagrams. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate approach based on the given problem and its initial conditions.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving the rotating wedge problem?

Some common mistakes include incorrect or inconsistent use of units, neglecting to account for external factors, making incorrect assumptions, and errors in calculations. It is also important to carefully consider the initial conditions and ensure all relevant parameters are taken into account. It can be helpful to double-check the steps and calculations made to solve the problem to catch any potential mistakes.