Why Is Measuring Jupiter's Mass Using Its Four Largest Moons More Accurate?

In summary: The mass of Jupiter is more accurately measured by measuring the mass of the four largest moons. The gravitational pull of the larger moons is more significant on the smaller moons.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

I've attached the lab sheets for the lab I am currently working on, and I am wondering if someone could help me with it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having difficulty with part two, steps 5-8. I have the slope from my excel graph 0.6458, what units would this be in? I have the y-intercept, 12.347, again, what units would this be in? Supposedly its the mass of Jupiter. I don't know how to find the correlation coefficient, nor the 95% ranges, nor the confidence interval. How do I find these things in Excel?

I'm sorry if this isn't typed us so neatly, it's just that I have to hand this in today; so, I'm a bit frantic. I would certainly appreciate your help, though.

Attachments

• Gravitation.doc
    61.5 KB · Views: 299
  • Excel 1.xls
    39.5 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I forgot to mention: I tried to upload the excel sheet, thinking it might make things more clear, but it wouldn't work. The file type is .xlsx, is there some way to change the file type, so that it may upload?

You'll have to save your Excel sheet as a different file type (usually a previous version of Excel)

All right, I was successful in uploading.

Usually the argument and result of a function are unitless, but the logarithm doesn't follow this rule. I wouldn't worry too much about the units.

To find the other stats, look at the LINEST function in Excel. For the confidence intervals, look into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_linear_regression, particularly the numerical example at the bottom. I don't know offhand if Excel can calculate those for you.

I figured it all out. Thanks, Vela However, I have one more question: why is it more accurate to measure the mass of Jupiter in terms of the four largest moons, than to measure the mass of Jupiter in terms of all 16 moons? Does it have something to do with the gravitational pull of those large moons on the smaller ones? If why, would someone care to help me understand this? I can see mathematically that it is true, I just want to have some physical intuition as to why it's true.

Last edited:

Related to Why Is Measuring Jupiter's Mass Using Its Four Largest Moons More Accurate?

1. What is the purpose of the "Moons of Jupiter Physics Lab"?

The purpose of the "Moons of Jupiter Physics Lab" is to study and analyze the physics principles and phenomena related to the moons of Jupiter. This includes their orbits, gravitational forces, and other physical characteristics.

2. How many moons does Jupiter have and which ones will be studied in the lab?

Jupiter has a total of 79 moons, but the lab will focus on the four largest moons: Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto. These moons were chosen because of their significant impact on Jupiter's gravitational and magnetic fields.

3. What equipment will be used in the lab?

The lab will use various equipment such as telescopes, spectrometers, and other scientific instruments to gather data and observations on the moons of Jupiter. Computer simulations and models will also be utilized to aid in the analysis and understanding of the physics involved.

4. What can we learn from studying the moons of Jupiter?

Studying the moons of Jupiter can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system. It also allows us to further understand the physics principles that govern the behavior of celestial bodies. Additionally, the study of Jupiter's moons can aid in the search for extraterrestrial life.

5. How will the lab contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The lab will contribute to our understanding of the universe by providing new information and data on the moons of Jupiter. This can lead to advancements and discoveries in the fields of astronomy, astrophysics, and planetary science. It also allows us to expand our knowledge of the diversity and complexity of our solar system and beyond.