Why is light traveling through the ether not just at speed c?

In summary: So yes, the vertical and horizontal motion are dependent. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations in the Michelson-Morley experiment and the application of the formula t1=2l/(c^2 - v^2)^1/2 to the motion of light. The conversation also touches on the motion of the interferometer mirrors and their relationship to the overall speed of light. The final point is made that the vertical and horizontal motion of light are dependent.
RooftopDuvet
I've just started reading the dustiest book on relativity i could find at the local library and like most others I've seen it includes the Michelson Morley experiment. I just need a bit of clarification on the formulae they use.

The equations t1=2l/(c^2 - v^2)^1/2 and t2=2lc/c^2 - v^2 seem logical enough but i don't understand why the first one applies to the velocity of light perpendicular to the ether.

The book I'm reading gets the equation from the situation of a boat of speed c crossing a flowing river of speed v. For the boat to travel perpendicular to the banks it has to drive slightly upstream so that its resultant velocity acts in the right direction - that being (c^2 - v^2)^1/2; if you're answering my question you've probably seen this.

If the boat were to instead just aim straight in the direction of the opposite river bank, the river would cause it to travel diagonally; though it's horizontal motion would be completely independant of its vertical motion. Isn't this the same situation as with the perpendicular path of the light through the ether? So why do we apply the equation t1 to the velocity of the light? Why don't we just used the speed c?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the light has to come back to the point it was sent off. It´s a two way experiment.

My question was more... when the light reflects off the mirror it begins to travel perpendicular to the motion of the ether; these two motions are independant aren't they?

It's not as though the light is being bent at a slight angle more, so that it's resultant motion is in the perpendicular direction, like with the boat crossing the river. The light is reflected at 45 degrees and so its full velocity c acts vertically. If vertical and horizontal motion are independant then why do we use the equation t1 in this sense?

RooftopDuvet said:
My question was more... when the light reflects off the mirror it begins to travel perpendicular to the motion of the ether; these two motions are independant aren't they?

It's not as though the light is being bent at a slight angle more, so that it's resultant motion is in the perpendicular direction, like with the boat crossing the river. The light is reflected at 45 degrees and so its full velocity c acts vertically. If vertical and horizontal motion are independant then why do we use the equation t1 in this sense?

Because the MM experiment deals with the motion of TWO items:

-the light fron (always moving at c)
-the interferometer mirrors :
:- moving at -v for the receding mirror
:- moving at +v for the "incoming" mirror
:- moving in a more complicated way for the mirror perpendicular to the motion

This is why you see all the c-v, c+v and sqrt(c^2-v^2) in the books.
It is unfortunate that the books do not explain this part.

Last edited:
RooftopDuvet said:
Of course not. Light should travel through the ether at overall speed c. When you add a small vertical speed component vy, you decrease necessarily the horizontal component vx (Pythagoras: c^2 = vx^2 + vy^2).

Related to Why is light traveling through the ether not just at speed c?

1. What is the Michelson Morley experiment?

The Michelson Morley experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in the late 19th century to measure the speed of light and test the hypothesis of the existence of the luminiferous ether, a hypothetical medium thought to carry light waves through space.

2. What were the results of the Michelson Morley experiment?

The results of the Michelson Morley experiment showed that the speed of light was constant in all directions, regardless of the direction of the Earth's motion around the sun. This contradicted the prevailing belief at the time that the Earth's motion through the ether would affect the speed of light.

3. How did the results of the Michelson Morley experiment impact the scientific community?

The results of the Michelson Morley experiment were a major turning point in the history of physics. It led to the development of Einstein's theory of relativity and the rejection of the concept of the ether. It also paved the way for further experiments and discoveries in the field of physics.

4. What is the significance of the Michelson Morley experiment in modern science?

The Michelson Morley experiment remains a fundamental experiment in modern physics and is considered one of the most important experiments in the history of science. Its results have had a profound impact on our understanding of the nature of space, time, and the speed of light.

5. Has the Michelson Morley experiment been replicated since its initial findings?

Yes, the Michelson Morley experiment has been replicated numerous times since its initial findings, with increasingly precise equipment and methods. Its results have been consistently confirmed, further solidifying its place in scientific history.