Why is (Kinetic friction)= fk≤fs (Static friction) ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between kinetic friction and static friction, and how the "less than" case is possible. The explanation given is that there is an energy threshold that needs to be overcome, similar to lifting a block over parallel ripples on two surfaces. A link to a video further explaining this concept is also provided.
andyrk
Why is (Kinetic friction)= fk≤fs (Static friction) ? I understood the "equal to" case but how is the "less than" case possible?
Similarly is this related to why is μk≤ μs ?

Physics news on Phys.org
tolove said:
I looked at that, but unfortunately there's about as much misinformation as worthwhile comments there. And I couldn't find any that match what I've always taken to be the explanation: that there's an energy threshold to be overcome.
Imagine e.g. that the two surfaces are made of materials which, if completely flat, would have no friction at all. But instead of being flat, each consists of parallel ripples. At rest, the two sets of ripples interlock. A small amount of energy needs to be invested in lifting the block over the ripples, but that energy is then available to get it over the next ripple, and so on.
It needn't be physical ripples - it could be some electrostatic bonding, but the concept is the same.
So I did a quick search and found this http://www.khanacademy.org/science/...on-on-static-and-kinetic-friction-comparisons

haruspex said:
I looked at that, but unfortunately there's about as much misinformation as worthwhile comments there. And I couldn't find any that match what I've always taken to be the explanation: that there's an energy threshold to be overcome.
Imagine e.g. that the two surfaces are made of materials which, if completely flat, would have no friction at all. But instead of being flat, each consists of parallel ripples. At rest, the two sets of ripples interlock. A small amount of energy needs to be invested in lifting the block over the ripples, but that energy is then available to get it over the next ripple, and so on.
It needn't be physical ripples - it could be some electrostatic bonding, but the concept is the same.
So I did a quick search and found this http://www.khanacademy.org/science/...on-on-static-and-kinetic-friction-comparisons

Very interesting video. Do you have an idea of how accurate his presentation is? He ends it by saying that it's still a subject open to discussion.

Thank you for the link!

tolove said:
Do you have an idea of how accurate his presentation is?
Only that it jibes with what I thought up myself.

Thanks a lot for the link!

Related to Why is (Kinetic friction)= fk≤fs (Static friction) ?

1. Why is the kinetic friction coefficient less than or equal to the static friction coefficient?

The kinetic friction coefficient (fk) is typically less than or equal to the static friction coefficient (fs) because static friction is a force that opposes motion, while kinetic friction is a force that acts on objects already in motion. This means that it takes less force to keep an object in motion (kinetic friction) than it does to overcome the initial resistance to motion (static friction).

2. What determines the value of the kinetic and static friction coefficients?

The value of the kinetic and static friction coefficients depend on several factors, including the types of materials in contact, the roughness of their surfaces, and the amount of force applied. These coefficients are experimentally determined and can vary depending on the specific conditions.

3. Can the kinetic friction coefficient ever be greater than the static friction coefficient?

No, the kinetic friction coefficient can never be greater than the static friction coefficient. This is because static friction is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object before it starts moving, while kinetic friction is the amount of force required to maintain motion. Therefore, by definition, the kinetic friction coefficient is always less than or equal to the static friction coefficient.

4. How does the value of the kinetic and static friction coefficients affect the motion of an object?

The value of the kinetic and static friction coefficients directly affect the motion of an object. A higher value of static friction coefficient means it will require more force to get an object to start moving, while a higher value of kinetic friction coefficient means it will take more force to keep the object in motion. These coefficients also determine the amount of heat energy produced due to friction.

5. Can the value of the kinetic friction coefficient change?

Yes, the value of the kinetic friction coefficient can change depending on various factors such as the surface roughness, temperature, and the presence of lubricants. For example, a smoother surface will result in a lower kinetic friction coefficient, while a rougher surface will result in a higher coefficient. Additionally, the presence of a lubricant can significantly reduce the value of the kinetic friction coefficient.