Why is it possible to see a real image in a mirror?

In summary, mirrors can produce either a virtual image or a real image. A concave mirror can create a magnified virtual image if the object is placed between the mirror and the focal point, a magnified and inverted real image if the object is placed between the focal point and the center of curvature, and a demagnified and inverted real image if the object is placed beyond the center of curvature. In the latter two cases, it is possible to see the real image if positioned correctly. This is because the light converges at the real image and then diverges when entering the eye, creating the illusion of a suspended image. Real images are not distinguishable from virtual images and can be seen, as explained in a video provided.
JSGandora
I am having trouble understanding how mirrors have only either a virtual image or a real image. Take a concave mirror for example.

If the object is placed between the mirror and the focal point, then there is a magnified virtual image.

If the object is placed between the focal point and the center of curvature, then there is a magnified and inverted real image.

If the object is placed beyond the center of curvature, then there is a demagnified and inverted real image.

In the latter two cases, what would you see if you just looked at the mirror since there is only a real image? Also, if you positioned yourself so that your eye is right behind the real image in any of the latter two cases, would you see the real image, which is what my textbook says? The light converges at the real image and then diverges then entering your eye. Your eye would interpret that as coming from the real image because the multiple rays that it receives converges at that real image, is that not true? But since it's a real image, I thought you weren't able to see it.

I am so confused, please help me.

Science news on Phys.org
JSGandora said:
But since it's a real image, I thought you weren't able to see it.
Why would you think that? The cool thing about real images is that they can appear to be suspended in mid air. Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFqlQiTTHRs

Oh oops, I just read the following sections and it explained why a real image can be seen. It also said that you can't distinguish a real image from a virtual one. Thanks for the video, it makes it clearer. :)

Related to Why is it possible to see a real image in a mirror?

1. What is a virtual image in mirrors?

A virtual image in mirrors is an image that is formed by the apparent intersection of reflected light rays. It is not a real image and cannot be projected onto a screen.

2. How is a virtual image formed in mirrors?

A virtual image is formed in mirrors when the reflected light rays diverge away from each other, and the apparent intersection of these rays creates the image.

3. Are virtual images always upright in mirrors?

Yes, virtual images in mirrors are always upright, regardless of the orientation of the object placed in front of the mirror.

4. What types of mirrors can produce virtual images?

Both concave and convex mirrors can produce virtual images, depending on the position of the object in front of the mirror.

5. Can virtual images be magnified in mirrors?

Yes, virtual images can be magnified in mirrors, but the magnification is always less than one, meaning the image appears smaller than the object.