Why is H2SO4 used in the contact process for sulfuric acid production?

In summary: And H2SO4 when used as spray consume very less amount of H2SO4 as compared to high yield of end product H2SO4,right?In summary, the person has a question about the point of making H2SO4 by this method. They mention that H2SO4 is used as a solvent and there is a net production of H2SO4. They also mention that H2SO4 is used as spray and that it consumes less H2SO4 than the high yield of end product H2SO4.
gracy
I have a doubt please look at this video
At time 1:54 to 2:00 and from time 3:24 to 3:29 After looking at video at time i have mentioned ,one will find that H2SO4 is itself used in this process so my question is what's the point in making H2SO4 by this method,as the method itself requires H2SO4.What's the net advantage when we are using H2SO4 (along with many other chemical compounds such as SO2,V2O5)and then producing the same?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly, H2SO4 is used as a solvent. There is a net production of H2SO4 in that process as the acid serving as solvent can be recycled.

Likes gracy
DrDu said:
If I remember correctly, H2SO4 is used as a solvent. There is a net production of H2SO4 in that process as the acid serving as solvent can be recycled.
OK one more question how impurities in SO2 and o2 reduces the efficiency of V2O5 (used as catalyst) in this process?

They get adsorbed on the catalys thus hindering the reactants to react at the surface.

Likes gracy
DrDu said:
They
they means impurities ,right?
DrDu said:
at the surface.
at the surface of catalyst V2O5 ,right?

Yes, yes

DrDu said:
OK this explains only about when H2SO4 is used as a solvent but what about when H2SO4 is used as spray?look at this in the video At time 1:54 to 2:00 .how can this be recycled?

There are tons of information readily available on the net. Which ones did you check besides this video?

DrDu said:
There are tons of information readily available on the net. Which ones did you check besides this video?
So i have searched a lot but such type of in depth questions (as my post 7)can only be answered here.That's why i request you to answer my post 7.
Regards.

The sulfuric acid is used to dissolve the SO3 formed which yields oleum. The latter is diluted to form H2SO4 again. So where is the problem?

DrDu said:
The sulfuric acid is used to dissolve the SO3 formed which yields oleum. The latter is diluted to form H2SO4 again. So where is the problem?
That's what the problem is,We are using H2SO4 to produce H2SO4 what's the net advantage?

That you get more H2SO4 than you put in.

According to your post 2 that H2SO4 is recycled again,right?

Yes, but obviously not all of it.

DrDu said:
Yes, but obviously not all of it.
And H2SO4 when used as spray consume very less amount of H2SO4 as compared to high yield of end product H2SO4,right?

Acid used in the process is not consumed, it is still present in the final product.

Related to Why is H2SO4 used in the contact process for sulfuric acid production?

1. What is the contact process for H2SO4?

The contact process is a method used to produce sulfuric acid (H2SO4) on an industrial scale. It involves the oxidation of sulfur dioxide (SO2) to sulfur trioxide (SO3) using a catalyst, which is then reacted with water to form sulfuric acid.

2. How does the contact process work?

In the first step of the contact process, sulfur is burned to produce sulfur dioxide. The SO2 is then purified and oxidized using a catalyst, typically vanadium pentoxide (V2O5). This produces sulfur trioxide (SO3), which is then absorbed in concentrated sulfuric acid to form oleum. Finally, the oleum is diluted with water to produce sulfuric acid.

3. What is the purpose of the catalyst in the contact process?

The catalyst, typically vanadium pentoxide, is used to speed up the oxidation of sulfur dioxide to sulfur trioxide. This reaction would occur very slowly without the catalyst, making the process not economically viable on an industrial scale.

4. What are the main uses of sulfuric acid produced by the contact process?

Sulfuric acid is a highly versatile chemical with many industrial applications. It is used in the production of fertilizers, detergents, explosives, and many other products. It is also used in the purification of metals and in the production of batteries.

5. What are the advantages of using the contact process for sulfuric acid production?

The contact process is a highly efficient and cost-effective method for producing sulfuric acid. It also allows for the production of sulfuric acid on a large scale, meeting the high demand for this chemical. Additionally, the process can be easily controlled and adjusted to produce sulfuric acid of different concentrations, making it suitable for a variety of industrial applications.