Why is gravitational force always attractive in nature?

In summary: Le Sage's theory of gravity is a discredited theory that suggests that the force of gravity is caused by the pressure of masses orbiting one another.It has been discarded scientifically for something like 200 years now. It is still occasionally mentioned on the internet, but it has already been examined and discarded scientifically.
preitiey
why is gravitational force always attractive in nature?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because mass is always positive.

Likes parshyaa
Welcome to PF!

That's a very profound question. Often in Physics we can't answer why something is so, we can only start with some basic axioms and strive to describe it mathematically. In the case of gravitation, our best theory is General Relativity where "matter tells space how to curve and space tells matter how to move". We have yet to find any matter which repels other matter.

Agree with you both! But gravitational force doesn't depends on mass only. so how can we determine its nature on the basis of mass only? and if we consider relativity, how one can relate it with the force's nature? pls someone elaborate.

preitiey said:
Agree with you both! But gravitational force doesn't depends on mass only. so how can we determine its nature on the basis of mass only? and if we consider relativity, how one can relate it with the force's nature? pls someone elaborate.
Sorry, can you clarify: are you asking about gravity according to general relativity or about Newtonian gravity?

My previous answer was in the context of Newtonian gravity. The GR answer would be substantially different.

I was too asking about Newtonian gravity. There is no relation of this question with relativity. I am searching for a satisfactory elaborated answer

preitiey said:
I was too asking about Newtonian gravity. ...I am searching for a satisfactory elaborated answer
Newtonian gravity doesn't elaborate on this.

OK, in Newtonian gravity the gravitational force is always attractive because mass is always positive. I don't understand what else you are looking for.

The Coulomb force can be either attractive or repulsive. It can go either way because charge can be positive or negative. Mass is not like charge, it cannot be either positive or negative, it is always positive and thus Newtonian gravity is always attractive.

Likes parshyaa
DaleSpam said:
OK, in Newtonian gravity the gravitational force is always attractive because mass is always positive. I don't understand what else you are looking for.

The Coulomb force can be either attractive or repulsive. It can go either way because charge can be positive or negative. Mass is not like charge, it cannot be either positive or negative, it is always positive and thus Newtonian gravity is always attractive.
OK sir, because mass is positive, we have this gravitational force attractive.
Someone explained this concept on the basis of cosmic rays, can that be any how?

preitiey said:
OK sir, because mass is positive, we have this gravitational force attractive.
In principle, the fact that mass is always positive would also be consistent with gravitational force always being repulsive. Experiment shows that gravity is not repulsive, however.
Someone explained this concept on the basis of cosmic rays, can that be any how?
You are going to have to come up with a better reference than "someone said" or a better description of what they said. Or both.

Is it not part of the law of gravitation that the force is attractive?

jbriggs444 said:
In principle, the fact that mass is always positive would also be consistent with gravitational force always being repulsive. Experiment shows that gravity is not repulsive, however.
Yes. This is a good point. The positive and negative charges is what allows the Coulomb force to be sometimes attractive and sometimes repulsive. A positive-only mass could in principle be associated with an always repulsive force. But that is counter to observation.

preitiey said:
I think that you are referring to le Sage's push gravity theory. That has been discredited for something like 200 years now. It is still occasionally mentioned on the internet, but it has already been examined and discarded scientifically.

DaleSpam said:
I think that you are referring to le Sage's push gravity theory. That has been discredited for something like 200 years now. It is still occasionally mentioned on the internet, but it has already been examined and discarded scientifically.
Is that the one where you have many, many particles hitting the earth, and they sort of push it around the sun? Like, the particles hit the Earth from the side away from the sun, because the sun blocks particles moving the other way and this results in the gravitational force. If yes, Richard Feynman debunks that one in one of his " The Character of Physical Law" Lectures. Probably the one on Gravitation, in case someone wants a good explanation of why it's wrong.

UncertaintyAjay said:
Is that the one where you have many, many particles hitting the earth, and they sort of push it around the sun? Like, the particles hit the Earth from the side away from the sun, because the sun blocks particles moving the other way and this results in the gravitational force.

Yes, that's the one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Sage's_theory_of_gravitation

To find that page, I did a Google search for "le sage gravity" and sure enough, it turned up as the first hit. Amusingly, the second hit is a site by the astronomer Halton Arp, who apparently takes seriously a modern version of le Sage's theory. If you want to read about it, do that Google search yourself.

You'll also find some other sites supporting the notion of "push gravity." :rolleyes:

Likes RMM and UncertaintyAjay
It's actually a beautiful theory, if you think about it, because of its simplicity. I imagine Le Sage's eureka face when he came up with that. I would change those particles to forces, or energies, though. :-p

Of course, beautiful doesn't mean true. If it doesn't match observations, got to move on.

This video once made me give it a thought:

gravity is the weak fundamental force(it doesn't mean its always attractive.. may be we experience the attractive kind due to we being bound by huge planets and stars and so on.. so causing to conclude it to be attractive)... also when you come across dark matter and dark energy(as the 70% of the universe constitutes of this kind, )... its been said gravity may also b repulsive.(provided the cosmological constant theory goes right, although the concept of gravity particle called graviton is discarded.)

moreover the general relativity states gravity as a space-time curvature. as you asked for relation to force's nature... that is what particle physicists trying to reconcile quantum physics and general relativity.

Dale Spam said:
That has been discredited for something like 200 years now. It is still occasionally mentioned on the internet, but it has already been examined and discarded scientifically.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-is-gravitational-force-always-attractive-in-nature.845944/

Really, this is the kind of answer I'd hoped for in the past when I ask about a rather mechanical explanation of gravity that I've toyed with for 50 years. Dale, you've suggested my post might be theory development, or some such term. I'm not remotely qualified to achieve that, but in a short page I suggest this idea that only one other person (that I can find), has published on.

Of course, I'd much rather hear that it did have some validity.

I know it's improbable a layman could achieve this but years ago this forum referred me to an appropriately qualified professor in the US who was reviewing a very similar idea. His main criticism of the notion - that spacetime is flowing into matter - was 'I don't know where all this spacetime is going.' I suggested an answer.

Time and again I read posts as in the thread above which at least give a moment's thought to sometimes off-beat ideas. That's all I ask and with only an outline answer that non-professionals can understand.

Related to Why is gravitational force always attractive in nature?

1. Why is gravitational force always attractive in nature?

The reason why gravitational force is always attractive in nature is because of the fundamental law of gravity, which states that all objects with mass are attracted to each other. This attraction is caused by the curvature of space-time created by the presence of mass, known as the gravitational field.

2. Is there any exception to the attractive nature of gravitational force?

No, there are no exceptions to the attractive nature of gravitational force. All objects with mass, regardless of their size or composition, will always be attracted to each other due to the presence of a gravitational field.

3. How does the distance between two objects affect the strength of gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the farther apart two objects are, the weaker the gravitational force between them will be.

4. Why does the moon orbit around the Earth instead of colliding with it?

The moon orbits around the Earth because of the balance between its forward motion and the gravitational force of the Earth. This is known as centripetal force and it keeps the moon in a stable orbit, preventing it from colliding with the Earth.

5. Can gravitational force be repulsive?

According to the current understanding of gravity, no, gravitational force cannot be repulsive. However, some theories such as the cosmological constant suggest that there could be a repulsive force at very large scales in the universe. This is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.