Why is fluoride toxic to bacterial cells?

• Thread starter treehouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells
In summary, fluoride is toxic to bacterial cells because it disrupts their cellular metabolism and inhibits their growth. Fluoride ions can penetrate the cell membrane and interfere with essential enzymes, leading to oxidative stress and ultimately cell death. Additionally, fluoride can disrupt the transport of essential nutrients and waste products in and out of the cell, further disrupting the cell's function. This makes fluoride an effective antimicrobial agent and is why it is commonly used in toothpaste and water fluoridation to prevent tooth decay caused by bacteria. However, high levels of fluoride can also be harmful to human cells, which is why it is important to monitor and regulate fluoride levels in dental products and drinking water.
treehouse
And does it similarly affect the cells of organisms of any other biological Kingdoms?

Biology news on Phys.org
treehouse said:
And does it similarly affect the cells of organisms of any other biological Kingdoms?

How did the results of your 'fluoride toxicity' Google turn out?

Fluoride is notoriously corrosive, of course. Think hydrofluoric acid.

More specifically - fluoride can serve as a nucleophile, and can serve as a phosphatase inhibitor (which would mean it can do so to any and all organisms, at least in principle). Substitution of fluorine for hydrogen can result in a compound that is more difficult for the organism to detoxify and excrete, which may be deleterious.

I'm fairly sure that fluoride toxicity is probably extensively covered somewhere online, as it can also do unpleasant things like decrease calcium levels in humans, which can wreak all kinds of havoc.

Googling 'fluoride toxicity' doesn't readily yield information about fluorine's absorption by cells and/or reactions with cellular components such as organelles and enzymes.

Last edited:
Mike H said:
Fluoride is notoriously corrosive, of course. Think hydrofluoric acid.

The corrosive part is, to put it simply, the hydrogen ion, not the fluoride part. Also, you are confusing fluoride (F-) with fluorine (F2).

Mkorr said:
The corrosive part is, to put it simply, the hydrogen ion, not the fluoride part. Also, you are confusing fluoride (F-) with fluorine (F2).

My bad. I seem to be in the midst of a burst of thinking about halogen chemistry and got my wires crossed.

treehouse said:
Googling 'fluoride toxicity' doesn't readily yield information about fluorine's absorption by cells and/or reactions with cellular components such as organelles and enzymes.

Sodium fluoride is a fairly well known inhibitor of certain phosphatases. It's even sold commercially as a protease inhibitor for use in biochemistry labs. It's also used as an inhibitor for one of the glycolytic enzymes as well.

Are you looking for something in particular?

Mike H said:
Are you looking for something in particular?

I want to know how it (fluorine and/or fluoride) interacts with what to cause cell death.

That should be phosphatase inhibitor in my last post, not protease inhibitor.

treehouse said:
I want to know how it (fluorine and/or fluoride) interacts with what to cause cell death.

Well, we've already mentioned a couple - interference with metabolism (inhibition of the glycolytic enzyme enolase), inhibition of phosphatases (which are involved in the regulation of numerous cellular functions), and will form insoluble precipitates with calcium, which is an essential trace element.

If more detail is needed, I will have to defer to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed" , as I'm not familiar with the toxicology literature on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fluoride ion, not the hydrogen ion, is the source of toxicity. Fluorine (the element) is extremely electrophilic (wants one more electron pair so it can complete its p-shell and fool itself into believing that it's neon). Fluoride (the ion) has obtained only one of the two electrons it wants, and it's desperate for one more. So fluoride will steal -- or borrow -- a stray electron from *anything*, which is one of the reasons that it's so corrosive/reactive. Introduction of an electrophile to a biological system will probably disrupt electron transport (energy metabolism), bind to nitrogen-containing compounds like proteins or nucleobases, and generally -- because of its size -- prevent the molecule's proper alignment or conformation.

Last edited:
brendlyn said:
The fluoride ion, not the hydrogen ion, is the source of toxicity. Fluorine (the element) is extremely electrophilic (wants one more electron pair so it can complete its p-shell and fool itself into believing that it's neon). Fluoride (the ion) has obtained only one of the two electrons it wants, and it's desperate for one more. So fluoride will steal -- or borrow -- a stray electron from *anything*, which is one of the reasons that it's so corrosive/reactive. Introduction of an electrophile to a biological system will probably disrupt electron transport (energy metabolism), bind to nitrogen-containing compounds like proteins or nucleobases, and generally -- because of its size -- prevent the molecule's proper alignment or conformation.

F- is a fairly good nucleophile due to high electron density. I don't possibly understand how it can act as an electrophile. If you have sources which support your statement please post their links.

In addition, elemental fluorine has 7 electrons in its outermost shell, so it needs one more electron and not an electron pair to complete its octet. Therefore F- will not accept anymore electrons (also due to absence of vacant d-orbitals).

At OP,
Mike H has already given some useful information.
I don't know the cause of fluoride toxicity, but this might shed further light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoride#Toxicology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoride_poisoning

Last edited:
i stand corrected.

brendlyn said:
i stand corrected.

I asked for appropriate sources which support your claim.

Here's one: Electrophilicity Index Parr, R. G.; Szentpaly, L. v.; Liu, S. J. Am. Chem. Soc.; (Article); 1999; 121(9); 1922-1924. doi:10.1021/ja983494x

I also forget to mention F2 addition to alkene bonds.

brendlyn said:
Here's one: Electrophilicity Index Parr, R. G.; Szentpaly, L. v.; Liu, S. J. Am. Chem. Soc.; (Article); 1999; 121(9); 1922-1924. doi:10.1021/ja983494x

I do not have access to the article so please post excerpts from the article which support your statement.

brendlyn said:
I also forget to mention F2 addition to alkene bonds.

Fluorine doesn't give simple addition reactions because of its high reactivity.

Related to Why is fluoride toxic to bacterial cells?

1. Why is fluoride toxic to bacterial cells?

Fluoride is toxic to bacterial cells because it disrupts their ability to produce energy through a process called oxidative phosphorylation. Fluoride ions bind to and inhibit an enzyme called enolase, which is essential for the production of ATP (the cell's energy currency) in bacteria. Without ATP, bacterial cells cannot perform essential functions and ultimately die.

2. How does fluoride specifically target bacterial cells?

Fluoride targets bacterial cells because they have a specific type of cell membrane called a phospholipid bilayer. This membrane is made up of molecules that have a phosphate group, which is the primary target of fluoride ions. The fluoride ions disrupt the structure and function of the membrane, making it more permeable and ultimately causing the cell to burst.

3. Can fluoride also harm human cells?

Fluoride can harm human cells, but at much higher concentrations than those found in water and toothpaste. Human cells have defense mechanisms, such as the ability to repair damaged DNA, that can help protect against fluoride toxicity. Additionally, the fluoride levels found in water and toothpaste are carefully regulated to be safe for human consumption.

4. Are there any benefits of fluoride for bacterial cells?

There are no known benefits of fluoride for bacterial cells. In fact, fluoride is often used as an antimicrobial agent in oral hygiene products to specifically target and kill bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease. However, some bacteria have developed resistance to fluoride, making it less effective in killing them.

5. How does fluoride affect bacterial cells differently from human cells?

Fluoride affects bacterial cells differently from human cells because of their structural and biochemical differences. As mentioned earlier, bacteria have a specific type of cell membrane that is more susceptible to fluoride ions. Additionally, bacteria have different metabolic processes and enzymes that can be targeted by fluoride, while human cells have defense mechanisms to protect against fluoride toxicity.